Thread: What is happening with this site????

Default What is happening with this site????

Maybe I've missed the reason or reasons that this site has been so painfully sluggish over the last few months (I think its been months), but what is going on and how can it be rectified? I would have PMd Jab to discuss, but I can not PM anyone before the message times out and nothing happens. I know there have been times when upgrades or fixes had to happen where, for short periods of time, the site goes down or is sluggish or acts weird, but this seems to be something that is the new norm.

I'm not asking to put pressure on anyone, I'm asking because if there is a way I can help, I want to...and I'm sure that most of the people on here feel the same. I have no technical computer skills, so I can not help there, but I can certainly pay more/year if this is somehow a money issue...and I think most supporting members would be up for that as well if it is necessary and would help get this place running quickly and smoothly again. If it is a manpower issue, are there any supporting members willing to help out?

Maybe it's neither and it's something beyond anyone's control. Maybe we will have to just live with it. I'm just curious about what the root cause is and if there is anything I or we can do to get it resolved.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

Look at the amount of people currently logged in. There are thousands.

IMHO - a script needs to be written that cycles every 24 hours to boot all who are currently logged in.

Sent via Galaxy s23 Ultra using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by USMCsilver View Post
    Look at the amount of people currently logged in. There are thousands.

IMHO - a script needs to be written that cycles every 24 hours to boot all who are currently logged in.

Sent via Galaxy s23 Ultra using Tapatalk
    You may be right, but there are plenty of other forums that most likely have a much larger number logged in that don’t have problems like this lasting 5+ months. There’s got to be more to it.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Guests are not "logged in". We typically have very few members logged in. The guest range from 1-2000 at any given time. Many of those guests are bots imo.

Seems to work better in the morning about 9 to 10. Slow is the evening

It all started when Jab said no more gun listings…..
    "run and gun guide service"

I’m IT with 15 years under my belt, I’d for sure be willing to help on the technical side. I have experience with Joomla and Word press.

Not saying I could do anymore than the guys that currently work on keeping things going but definitely will offer to help.
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by WhitewaterDuck View Post
    Maybe I've missed the reason or reasons that this site has been so painfully sluggish over the last few months (I think its been months), but what is going on and how can it be rectified? I would have PMd Jab to discuss, but I can not PM anyone before the message times out and nothing happens. I know there have been times when upgrades or fixes had to happen where, for short periods of time, the site goes down or is sluggish or acts weird, but this seems to be something that is the new norm.

I'm not asking to put pressure on anyone, I'm asking because if there is a way I can help, I want to...and I'm sure that most of the people on here feel the same. I have no technical computer skills, so I can not help there, but I can certainly pay more/year if this is somehow a money issue...and I think most supporting members would be up for that as well if it is necessary and would help get this place running quickly and smoothly again. If it is a manpower issue, are there any supporting members willing to help out?

Maybe it's neither and it's something beyond anyone's control. Maybe we will have to just live with it. I'm just curious about what the root cause is and if there is anything I or we can do to get it resolved.

Same thoughts

If there is anything we can do to help (financial wise) I am sure myself and most others willing to help

THT and this site about only 2 I go to daily in all honesty i

It would be interesting to see a packet capture for the thousands of guests that are hitting the site. Are they web crawlers that are reading every page to capture links, IA bots doing the same to train themselves, or simply a big audience that never posts?

I do think it would be useful to try some sort of interactive test like ReCaptcha to limit bots.

I have no clue the reason, but I don’t get in a hurry much anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    It would be interesting to see a packet capture for the thousands of guests that are hitting the site. Are they web crawlers that are reading every page to capture links, IA bots doing the same to train themselves, or simply a big audience that never posts?

I do think it would be useful to try some sort of interactive test like ReCaptcha to limit bots.
    Interesting thoughts.

I surely don't understand enough of the IT tech world to help, but if it kicks any ideas as to a trigger period this issue really started last December(?)... soon after I opted to not renew my TP membership for the time being. I just figured all of this was somehow being caused by 2th doc causing a temper tantrum because he couldn't harass me on my TP posts for now like he and his cockroach gang has done for umpteen years.

(J/K toofer... ... I look forward to returning to the TP)
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

On a related note I paid membership well over a month ago so I could put some items up for sale. At this point I am considering it a donation as I still do not have access.

The user volume seems to be dropping notably with the slow down as it has become painful to post/view anything.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWake View Post
    On a related note I paid membership well over a month ago so I could put some items up for sale. At this point I am considering it a donation as I still do not have access.

The user volume seems to be dropping notably with the slow down as it has become painful to post/view anything.
    Send Jab a PM. He will take care of you.

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson