Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: SCDNR turkey hunting survey

Quote Originally Posted by AnythingFeathers View Post
    I am in agreement with that......... But button spurs on a Tom? If you say so. If they were 1/2-3/4 " then yes 2 yr old. Buttons??? Most I know would say JAKE!!!! Know matter the beard or tail. Some may even say (the dreaded) super jake, but jake no less. The spur is a layer of keratin over bone. No different than a horn(goats, cows) The level of keratin growth (with an x-ray) is the indicator of age and is considered to be the most accurate way to determine age, but only up to 3yrs. In year 2 the bone would be bigger than a button. In a unspurred bird the bone does not develop.
    I killed one 3 weeks ago with 1/8" button spurs that was an adult gobbler. Full fan, 20 pounds and a 9 inch beard. It happens.

To be fair.... if you hunt a state where it doesn't matter if it's a jake or not, you can definitely be less discriminatory with your target (obviously). But that doesn't mean you're being unsafe or can't "identify your target". Hey , I can tell that's a male turkey, and legally thats all I'm required to identify.

Sometimes the shot opportunity provided is ethical, but as a hunter, you're like well, idk if that's a jake or a gobbler but this is an ethical shot on a male turkey.

If you hunt a state where you cannot shoot jakes though, you're going to have to be more selective and let that bird come in 5 more yards - plain and simple.

AND if you still cant tell, then you DO NOT shoot.
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

[QUOTE=Coastal Woodie;3161350]I killed one 3 weeks ago with 1/8" button spurs that was an adult gobbler. Full fan, 20 pounds and a 9 inch beard. It happens.[/QUOTE

Was a true spur, or just a raised area where spur normally is? Picture?

Thanks goodness you are here Anything Feathers. I wouldn't know what to think about turkeys without your vast knowledge and experience.

Do tell us all.

[QUOTE=AnythingFeathers;3161362]
    Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Woodie View Post
    I killed one 3 weeks ago with 1/8" button spurs that was an adult gobbler. Full fan, 20 pounds and a 9 inch beard. It happens.[/QUOTE

Was a true spur, or just a raised area where spur normally is? Picture?
    The legs are in my freezer, I’ll take a picture when I get back in town in a couple days.

My son shot a full throated full fanned long beard a couple years back that didn’t have any spurs at all

My son shot a full throated full fanned long beard a couple years back that didn’t have any spurs at all

Quote Originally Posted by ShortMagFan View Post
    Yeah, I called in a bird for my Dad in about 2008 down in a north FLA pasture that was kickin all the other gobbler's asses and was clearly the boss. I thought he was gonna be a stud cause he had a 12+" beard, but he had no spurs at all. I will never understand how he was the boss, but it was clear that he was.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

Quote Originally Posted by MKW View Post
    Yeah, I called in a bird for my Dad in about 2008 down in a north FLA pasture that was kickin all the other gobbler's asses and was clearly the boss. I thought he was gonna be a stud cause he had a 12+" beard, but he had no spurs at all. I will never understand how he was the boss, but it was clear that he was.
    Congrats on the unicorn Mike..... LMAO
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by MKW View Post
    Congrats on the unicorn Mike..... LMAO
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE