Thread: Pacific

Default Pacific

If you haven't seen it, it's pretty damn good. Netflix.

I agree! Watch Band of Brother next if you haven't already.

We recently finished watching "Masters of the Air" on Apple TV. 9 episodes. Recounts the WW2 exploits of the 100th Bomb Group during the bombings of Europe and ultimately, Germany.

Pretty incredible what our people can achieve and survive. Highly recommended.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Watched the "Longest Day" last night and will be watching "Saving Private Ryan" this afternoon/evening..

Both are exceptional films.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

During Memorial day weekend history channel had two days of WWII in color that had footage never seen on TV. It covered prewar and start to end of the conflict. The footage was awesome and include warnings about graphic nature of the program. We had a decisive victory but had several mistakes not been made by axis command the out come could have been different especially for western Europe.

I think the outcome was always solidified if we had resolve.. agree on their mistakes. The axis, mainly Germany bit the same with Japan was hoping for a quick war with limited limited resources. Germany wasted so much on inane projects. They brought Russia into the war, but we all know the main downfall was bringing us into it. Our industrial complex that occurred as a result forced a gap they couldn't compete with.

Huge and silly mistakes were made, even with D Day and Hitler not believing that was our main attack, which most people know here probably.. him holding up a counter attack for a few days certainly saved us lives and time. It was not a war they could sustain, an island nation and a smaller interior European county.. Italy was a joke, and probably half the country didn't want it.

I have watched it, it was great.. My MIL gave me the box set of The Band of Brothers for Christmas when it released.. I watched it in one day.

My grandfather was in The Bulge, at almost forty years old.. He only told my father about the noise of the tanks during the initial wave, nothing else. I'm still I'm possession of his bayonet. All together a different breed of men.

Awesome.

I have a Winchester M97 12 ga that my Uncle carried as a primary weapon in SVN/ Laos and Cambodia while he slipped around doing MACV/SOG stuff. He preferred it to the Colt XM177 he was issued. ( I don't know where that rifle went). I am also the caretaker of my late Father in Law's M1 Garand he shipped home in 4 pieces from Korea.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

My grandpa Ray Pinson on the machine gun crew in WW2. He ended up dug in a fox hole fo 3 days in France, and his feet were froze solid. He tole me his legs was completely black from the knee down. They wanted to amputate and he said no and went on to build many many homes in this area until he was 82 years old. He was given a purple heart for his injuries.

He was a quiet fella, but a hoot when they boys were around. Word got back to my uncle that he was a baaaaddddd man behind that machine gun when my uncle went on the honor flight with him
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by quack head 11 View Post

My grandpa Ray Pinson on the machine gun crew in WW2. He ended up dug in a fox hole fo 3 days in France, and his feet were froze solid. He tole me his legs was completely black from the knee down. They wanted to amputate and he said no and went on to build many many homes in this area until he was 82 years old. He was given a purple heart for his injuries.

He was a quiet fella, but a hoot when they boys were around. Word got back to my uncle that he was a baaaaddddd man behind that machine gun when my uncle went on the honor flight with him
    They don't make them like they used to.....
    Glad he got to do the honor flight, I have heard it is quite the experience.

WWII in Color
    The Color of War
    Apocalypse WWI
    WWII Battle In Color
    The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich

All excellent documentaries on the World Wars. Both BoB and Pacific are excellent.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

The muh reens were pretty effective during that whole conflict...Good Night, Chesty.
    At least I'm housebroken.

Band of brothers was great
    Pacific was decent
    Masters of the air was terrible, other than the special effects

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I think the outcome was always solidified if we had resolve.. agree on their mistakes. The axis, mainly Germany bit the same with Japan was hoping for a quick war with limited limited resources. Germany wasted so much on inane projects. They brought Russia into the war, but we all know the main downfall was bringing us into it. Our industrial complex that occurred as a result forced a gap they couldn't compete with.

Huge and silly mistakes were made, even with D Day and Hitler not believing that was our main attack, which most people know here probably.. him holding up a counter attack for a few days certainly saved us lives and time. It was not a war they could sustain, an island nation and a smaller interior European county.. Italy was a joke, and probably half the country didn't want it.
    They put stupid amounts of troops in Norway and it wasn't to protect the U boat channels. They had something like 1 soldier per 10 civilians, all because they looked arian. They ramped up the killing in '43 and the high command at least the Spier, Kammler, and Borman knew it. I guess you could say that was in retaliation for Heydrich, but they took on a furry of doing and massive amounts of resources were poured into the project. So much could have been used to fight the war. So man power was wasted left and right.

That said, folks dont realize how close the whole western from almost fell apart during the bulge. Had the skies stayed cloudy, or Skorzeny & his saboteurs reached the fuel depot and those panzers kept rolling we would have been dead in the Arden. It was only for a vigilante solider that realized what was going on and he set the fuel depot on fire starving the Panzers of much needed fuel. Skorzeny were so effect Monty and Ike had to get off the from line due to them causing so much havoc. I would suggest God had a hand in this once again. You had to have the 2 different instances happen to stop them again. It wasn't the ground guys that got the Nazis to move it was once the air power could get back in the air that caused the Nazis problems. Even then had they got that fuel I'd dare say it would at the least been a much longer war, perhaps even a totally different outcome. The Nazi's wanted to stave off the western front in a hope they would settle for a settlement that The Western Allies would stop, and the Nazis would not go after Britain. Then they could turn around and focus totally on the Russians.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

20240606_192412.jpg20240606_192439.jpg

My uncle gave me this before he passed. He went into Italy at Anzio Beach. His company was pinned down in a swamp as he called it for several weeks. This was actually reclaimed marshland. The Germans had turned off the pumps and flooded the marsh with sea water. His unit was under constant artillery fire and strafing by fighter aircraft. They were able to shoot down a fighter and he was with a ten man crew sent to capture the pilot. They found him hiding in a ditch and took this weapon off him. Uncle never talked mush about his actions there only seeing trucks loaded with bodies and blood running out the back of the truck
    Last edited by centurian; 06-10-2024 at 09:28 AM.

Midway is a good watch too, just to realize how close things could have went a lot differently. Haven't watched Pacific yet but I guess what happened at Midway is part of it.
    Last edited by Kioti; 06-10-2024 at 12:43 PM.

We had the Japs beaten easily it was just a matter of time. The 2 things that do amaze me are all the data we got from Unit 731. Everyone jumps up and down about paper clip. 731 is very rarely mentioned, and all the Dr's that participated in not only walked we once again brought them back here to help us understand the data.

And how we could be so stupid to ultimately back Mao over Chiang Kai-shek. Yes, I get that we gave the KMT major support during the war, but that was only to defeat Japan. Once that was done we basically turned our back on Kai-shek & his lovely wife the Dragon lady!

Both wanted to be dictators. There would have been far less killing with Kai-shek. China would be a totally different country today if we had not picked a winner in that civil war.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot