Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boat friendly vacation spots on coast

Default Boat friendly vacation spots on coast

Well NEVER thought I would ask this question but after 50+ yrs we sold IOP vacation home, it was time and market is crazy

Anyway our property manager has us a house on SI for this summer but looking ahead to summer 2025

When I hit coast my boat is with me so looking for some where that is “boater friendly” and has ramp/marina close by , inshore fishing

Just scrolling thru internet and have looked at some places, really like Harbor Island but have also been looking at Fripp, Edisto .

Like to have some family activities (6 adults and 3 kids 10, 5, 4 next yr ) but mostly just beach and chilling around house. Normally we just cook at home most nights and even better if fresh local seafood (something like Simmons) retailer .

When at IOP seldom do we leave Island other than 1 day our kids/grandkids will hit one of the swim parks

Not interested in anything North of IOP

TIA
    Last edited by tprice; 05-21-2024 at 05:45 AM.

edisto checks a lot of those boxes.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Honestly, if I was in your shoes, I would use this opportunity to experience places outside of your norm and venture to NC and check out places like cape lookout, kitty hawk, Emerald Isle etc.

You have done 50+ years of the Sc coast… go explore somewhere new
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    now Hogan can fuck off on here all day and call it work, thanks!

Ocean isle has a lot of options for you just to leave the boat in the water and it is a pretty good vibe.

I am a Beaufort/ Sea Islands fan.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    edisto checks a lot of those boxes.
    Mind your own business
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

https://www.vrbo.com/579060

Jolly Shores on Daufuskie is pretty cool and is very comfortable for a big group.
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

Go to Exuma or the Abacos once with the family. I swear you can do it with a boat rental for about the same price as renting a beach home for a week in SC.

Quote Originally Posted by DJP View Post
    Go to Exuma or the Abacos once with the family. I swear you can do it with a boat rental for about the same price as renting a beach home for a week in SC.
    I still love going to Edisto and we went for the kid's spring break this year ... but the Abacos are pretty damn cool. Heading there Friday, and again in July.

I am real curious how y'all are taking a family of 4 to abacos for $1500 per head or less, last I looked it appeared to run $2500/hd.
    cut\'em

These are actual costs today for a Sunday to Friday trip at the end of July to Exuma.

$2000 for four flights to MHH or GTT (actual cost today)
    $2,391 for a Sunday to Friday stay in a two bedroom home on Exuma with pool per VRBO totals including taxes and fees
    $2300 for 4 days 6 person boat rental including fuel. (Island Exclusive Boat tours and rentals)

That is about $1,672.75 per person. There were cheaper houses and there are cheaper flights. Google flights has the prices marked as average.

We go as much as we can. The trick for us is watching flights and also bringing some of our own food for most dinners. We like to eat out for lunches and then eat at home for dinners (BBQ, taco meat, bagles, cream cheese, other breakfast items and snacks.) When you have the ability to check a bag for free, it makes sense to do that and fill it with food.

Quote Originally Posted by mhogancu View Post
    Honestly, if I was in your shoes, I would use this opportunity to experience places outside of your norm and venture to NC and check out places like cape lookout, kitty hawk, Emerald Isle etc.

You have done 50+ years of the Sc coast… go explore somewhere new

I have pulled boat to PCB, Islamorada, Clearwater over the years but in all honesty looking for something same travel distance since we are going to be on someone else’s schedule now. With our house I could manipulate a few extra days so not an issue

Like I said this is a different world for me (and my family )

Gulf Coast may end up being an option , not opposed to that.

More or less what I am also looking for is long weekend fall trips for Reds

So many places funny about boats on trailers
    Last edited by tprice; 05-21-2024 at 06:20 PM.

You could rent a house on folly and golf cart to sunset cay marina they charge $300 a week to keep your boat in a slip.

Edisto, I know you said no north of IOP but Pawley's would check your boxes.

But anyway, those places are full! LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by murraywader View Post
    You could rent a house on folly and golf cart to sunset cay marina they charge $300 a week to keep your boat in a slip.

Thanks. Will check that out

Quote Originally Posted by murraywader View Post

Wife is not a fan of Folly at all for some reason. That went over like turd in punch bowl

Probably bc it’s a raging liberal shithole

Quote Originally Posted by DJP View Post
    These are actual costs today for a Sunday to Friday trip at the end of July to Exuma.

$2000 for four flights to MHH or GTT (actual cost today)
    $2,391 for a Sunday to Friday stay in a two bedroom home on Exuma with pool per VRBO totals including taxes and fees
    $2300 for 4 days 6 person boat rental including fuel. (Island Exclusive Boat tours and rentals)

That is about $1,672.75 per person. There were cheaper houses and there are cheaper flights. Google flights has the prices marked as average.

We go as much as we can. The trick for us is watching flights and also bringing some of our own food for most dinners. We like to eat out for lunches and then eat at home for dinners (BBQ, taco meat, bagles, cream cheese, other breakfast items and snacks.) When you have the ability to check a bag for free, it makes sense to do that and fill it with food.
    Went 5 years ago and had an absolute blast. My buddy had a run in with a 10-12’ tiger shark right after he fell out of his kayak… If you’ve not eaten at the tiny ice cream shop, make sure you do. One of the best meals I’ve ever had.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

How the hell do you take some of your own food for dinners going to a foreign country? Check a cooler?
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

Thanks for input but not looking to go outside USA , do not think I can pull my boat behind plane

Plus wife was on a plane 39 yrs ago this month for our honeymoon, she has not been back on one since and has zero intentions of it (yep kids give her hard time about it and I gave up years ago plus 9/11 did not help )

Looking at couple houses on HI that are beachfront on St Helena Sound

It appears a boat ramp across bridge , Butches Island boat ramp with close access to St Helena Sound

Anyone familiar with this one ?

Got a 9 1/2 yr old grandson that caught his first Red last summer and trying to keep him interested in fishing plus his little brother thinks he can do ANYTHING his big brother does too
    Last edited by tprice; 05-23-2024 at 05:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Duck View Post
    How the hell do you take some of your own food for dinners going to a foreign country? Check a cooler?
    In your carry on bag. I have packed a whole pork loin, cereal, fruit etc. Bag gets opened because tsa wants to see what smells so good.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"