Thread: .06 bullet question

Default .06 bullet question

Last couple years been shooting 165 gr. ballistic tip. This year switched to a 10 year old, half of a box, 180 gr. core lokt I had bought before I switched to the ballistic tip.

I switched because I got tired of seeing the bullets in my box of junk. I'll tell you I've been pretty pleased with the switch. Two of the deer I shot this year with the Core lokt dropped in their tracks, just folded no kicking no nothing. The other ran 10 yards then fell. With the ballistic tips it seemed like all my deer would run 25 or so yards.

Well my question is this. I am still aiming in the same place, middle of the shoulder. But because the ballistic tip is a flatter shooting bullet am I hitting closer to where I am aiming when the deer is at 50 yards or so? Whereas with the core lokt being a heavier bullet is it hitting higher than I think at 50 and that coupled with the heavier weight of the bullet providing more shock to the backbone that drops near the shoulder blades? FYI I had both bullets hitting 1 inch high at 100 yards.

I did find out the limitations of the 180 grains... Distance. That bullet really drops at 300 yards.

Anyway, thanks for reading this long post and giving your opinions.

How many 300 yard shots do you take. Personally I doubt the deer cares if it is the ordinary core lokt or a ballistic tip. Use what works best for you. I do think 180grs is an overkill in SC but the slower bullet may be the trick with your gun.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

The change in POI is probably more of a function of load harmonics than just a heavier bullet. Change brands of 180 gr. bullets and things may change again. If it works enjoy.

BTW, which "The Neck" are you from? Is it the one also known as Half Moon, between Sheminalli and Hooterville?
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

If the 180 grain bullet is hitting higher on the shoulder, it is direct busting the spine. Your Ballistic Tips would do the same thing if they hit there. The only BAD thing with that bullet placement is that you might ruin some loin if it drifts TOO high.

Even with mid-shoulder placement, I am surprised that shoulder-pinned deer would be able to routinely cover 25 yards with the 165 BT's -
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

+1 on SR's comment on the higher shoulder shot. The NBT is a fine bullet and will do the job with anything reasonable as far as decent shot placement is concerned.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

Thanks guys for the reasonable answers and not posting any BS.

The Neck I'm referring to is on the Savanah. But I guess there's a lot of Necks on that river.

I agree with the 180gr bullets being overkill for SC or any whitetail really. I'm switching back to the 165BT's but I was just looking for plausible reasons the deer were dropping like sacks of potatoes. I was always happy with the 165BT's, I knew when I shot the deer were down they just may would go 20-30 yards. It seemed like the closer they were the farther they would run. If they were out 100 yards they'd drop near their tracks but if they were at 25 they'd run 20-30 yards. Maybe I'll start aiming a little higher to get try and get a little closer up the shoulder.

And yeah, I very rarely take 200 yards shots, so 300 is really an anomally.

Thanks again for the answers and no BS.

Read this article. It is quite informative.
    http://www.scilowcountry.org/cedar_knoll_deer_study.htm