Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Turkey reg changes

i think turkey hunters are competing with retriever people on who is more odd

and I think a lot need to sweep around their own back door.

want more turkeys? stop killing so many or the .gov will make a law to stop you.
    somehow that makes sense, right?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    So what is wrong with April 1 for low state and April 10 for upstate? Both get 1 month.
    It will cause increased pressure from the upstate hunters traveling to take advantage of the early start.

The low country will whine about anything. Before it's over they will be saying this is a pre-emptive strike to end dog hunting

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    Before it's over they will be saying this is a pre-emptive strike to end dog hunting

Because it is..

My thoughts, which ain’t science, nor political..

The birds didn’t take it on the chin nearly as much before the widespread use of male decoys. So that March start wasn’t nearly as detrimental.. But now it is..

The old field birds or swamp gobblers that had nicknames and whipped wholesale hunter ass, starting dying in a rapid fashion the first week of the season, running down a gun barrel to a strutter decoy..

So being in the hole we have placed ourselves in, we have to give Tom a chance to swell his ladies up..

I’d be fine with an April10th start and 3 turkeys, banning male decoys altogether..

Deep down the powers that be are trying to keep hunter recruitment numbers up, while trying to manage a resource.. By putting the limit at 2, they hope everyone can kill a Turkey..

I don’t care about everybody.. I care about the Turkey and I care about my property..

We trap, burn, plant and selectively kill birds..

Our numbers are on par to be as good or better than they ever have..

Turkey hunting and those that hunt turkeys are still gay..
    Last edited by PBiz; 12-21-2023 at 09:07 AM.
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    It will cause increased pressure from the upstate hunters traveling to take advantage of the early start.
    Actually, this may not be a big problem with a two bird limit. It was in the past with a 5 bird limit.

If I have a place to hunt locally and the limit is 2, a later start shouldn't bother anyone because if you can't kill 2 in 30 days, you need to do something else.

The modern day hunter is way more efficient at killing than years ago. Better ammo, decoys, and using the Internet as a training tool has increased the harvest.

Lowering days afield along with lower limits and scientifically sound starting dates make sense.

Phillip my intentions were not to attack you. If I came across that way I apologize. You come on here and listen to our crap and I appreciate you doing so.

My only intention is to get my opinion in front of you and hopefully get you to see this issue the same way I do. I've emailed everyone on the fish game and resources committee with my beliefs and view points. I've also asked them to allow me to come give my feedback in person if and when they meet about this. I haven't heard back from any of them.
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

Quote Originally Posted by PBiz View Post
    Because it is..

The birds didn’t take it on the chin nearly as much before the widespread use of male decoys. So that March start wasn’t nearly as detrimental.. But now it is..

The old field birds or swamp gobblers that had nicknames and whipped wholesale hunter ass, starting dying in a rapid fashion the first week of the season, running down a gun barrel to a strutter decoy..

So being in the hole we have placed ourselves in, we have to give Tom a chance to swell his ladies up..

I’d be fine with an April10th start and 3 turkeys, banning male decoys altogether..

Deep down the powers that be are trying to keep hunter recruitment numbers up, while trying to manage a resource.. By putting the limit at 2, they hope everyone can kill a Turkey..

I don’t care about everybody.. I care about the Turkey and I care about my property..

Shut the thread down. Phillip said it best. DNR is trying to kill less turkeys while trying to keep hunter recruitment numbers up. We all know what the bird needs is less people hunting them. How do you do that? Take away crutches like male decoys from all the flat brimmed hat wearing rednecks who just want their picture on social media. I’ve been saying it all along. We hunted them in March for 30 years and the population grew. Along came massed produced realistic turkey decoys and every dumbass thought turkey hunting was the cool new best thing. Wouldn’t you know it, populations dropped after that…..

Should have known it was all downhill once people started naming birds.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    LMAO....
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

.....and wearing crocs

Hahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by SCWOODROW View Post
    They are making changes based on the MAJORITY, not a small insignificant amount of folks reaping and using strutter decoys. They are looking to make a difference in the turkey population, not just a feel good.
    Per SC DNR's data, a much higher percentage of people used strutting decoys (23%) than kill their limit (2%). Limiting the small 2% to 2 turkeys vs. 3 will not do a thing to help turkey populations. Eliminating strutter decoys, and for that matter, all decoys, will make a much more significant impact on turkey population. I do not understand how DNR is making recommendations on "following the science" when so few people kill their limit.

Quote Originally Posted by raybird View Post
    We should shut down the season for 3 years and reset
    As far as what's best for turkeys, this is the most intelligent post on this thread.

The worst that might happen to you during a 3 year closure is you die and never get to turkey hunt again, but let's not make it about the greed of getting to hunt a diminishing resource.
    DILLIGAF

Quote Originally Posted by flockbuster View Post
    Phillip my intentions were not to attack you. If I came across that way I apologize. You come on here and listen to our crap and I appreciate you doing so.

My only intention is to get my opinion in front of you and hopefully get you to see this issue the same way I do. I've emailed everyone on the fish game and resources committee with my beliefs and view points. I've also asked them to allow me to come give my feedback in person if and when they meet about this. I haven't heard back from any of them.
    Thanks

Just show up to the ag sub-committee and sign up. No permission needed. Be sure to be there 20 min early to get a seat and to get on the list.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Thank you. Would I need to go to the AG committee meeting or the fish and game?
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

Quote Originally Posted by WNM View Post
    Per SC DNR's data, a much higher percentage of people used strutting decoys (23%) than kill their limit (2%). Limiting the small 2% to 2 turkeys vs. 3 will not do a thing to help turkey populations. Eliminating strutter decoys, and for that matter, all decoys, will make a much more significant impact on turkey population. I do not understand how DNR is making recommendations on "following the science" when so few people kill their limit.
    Agreed. Everything DNR does revolves around one word “opportunity” which will be the death of it all
    80-20 Genaration

Quote Originally Posted by PBiz View Post
    Because it is..

Agreed 100%. And my number are great
    80-20 Genaration

Quote Originally Posted by flockbuster View Post
    Thank you. Would I need to go to the AG committee meeting or the fish and game?
    Ag is the full committee. It will get scheduled in a sub-committee. I will follow and let y'all know.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Selfishly, I was against all of the changes as I want to be in the woods as much as I can; however it’s hard to argue with the science. It’s also hard to support “old wives tales” that are not. After attending the presentations, I got educated and I fully support moving the season back. I had a long conversation with the biologist and y’all would die if you knew when he would like to open the season. As long as the decision is supported by science, I’m game with it. No pun intended, but I want my grandkids and their kids to shoot 1 or two birds a year on “their” farm, the same way I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    Ag is the full committee. It will get scheduled in a sub-committee. I will follow and let y'all know.
    I’m hearing even to,d by another that DNR posted if changes are enacted AS recommended by DNR, it won’t go into effect until 2025. Tell me please this is just some dumbassery and not true.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Duck View Post
    I’m hearing even to,d by another that DNR posted if changes are enacted AS recommended by DNR, it won’t go into effect until 2025. Tell me please this is just some dumbassery and not true.

I suspect seasons and what not have already been published in the regulations book.