Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 10/16 dead deer & .350 legend

My sons been killing the mess out of them the past few years with Federal Fusion 160gr loads out to 150 yards. I’ll put the blood trails from that laid up against any common deer caliber.

First of all, hell of a nice buck...congrats.

Second...let me know when you find the "magic bullet." Every deer I've shot with a rifle either fell in its tracks or didn't go far and left little to no blood trail (except one). I'm used to blood trails from broad heads, and every blood trail I've followed with a rifle has paled in comparison to a deer shot with a bow. That said, I always find the deer at the end of the shitty rifle blood trail...not the case with many great blood trails from deer I've shot with a bow. If you are shooting deer at 350 to 400 yards and closer, you are shooting a great load. Do not do the Berger or fragmenting bullet thing if you are shooting them at close ranges, as I've heard (and experienced) they can get through the deer at high velocities without fragmenting = small hole thru deer with little energy transferred and no blood. I switched back to a mushrooming bullet that stays intact after shooting a 7mm hole through one's lungs last year with a fragmenting bullet designed to work at slower speeds and long distances...and never finding a drop of blood or the deer. I will also be going back to shooting them in the base of the neck/high shoulder from now on. I've never shot one with a rifle center mass at the base of the neck and had them go further than 3' straight down. I will never shoot one in the lungs again if I can help it.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

I agree with shot placement. We use the deer season xp’s and power points in our 350s and have been very pleased with both. My dad uses the power points and likes high shoulder shots. I use the xp’s and like behind the shoulder shots, but have also had good success with the xp’s and quartering to shots.

Shoot em through the shoulders and you won't need a blood trail..........Don't much care for the little legend at all. I use 280/30/06/444 Marlin/44 mag /30-30 and 35 Rem........Real deer cartridges.

Nice buck!!! Congrats.

Quote Originally Posted by Model12 View Post
    Shoot em through the shoulders and you won't need a blood trail..........Don't much care for the little legend at all. I use 280/30/06/444 Marlin/44 mag /30-30 and 35 Rem........Real deer cartridges.
    I have killed more deer with my “little” .243 than any other rifle I own, .308, 30-06, .350, .270, .257. I just love that rifle but I guess it’s not a “real” deer round. I’ve now shot 2 deer with that .350, one recovered and one not until 2 days later. I will be trying different bullets and better shot placement. I have plenty of confidence in the caliber to get the job done.