Thread: 25 yard zero

Default 25 yard zero

I've rescoped my 7mm-08 and have access to an air conditioned indoor range but it's only 25 yards.

I want to start there so I don't have to fight mosquitoes and sweat my ass off. The barrel also cools quicker inside. I'll also shoot my .308 a few times.

What should impact be for these two at 25 yards to be zeroed (or close to it) at 100 yards? All I can find for short range start at 50 yards.

Yes, I will shoot them at 100 yards before going to the woods but want to get it close in the air conditioning.

If it matters:
    .308 ammo is Winchester 168 gr ballistic silver tips
    7mm-08 is Winchster 140 gr ballistic silver tips

Both are bolt guns? I would just bore sight with bolt removed and skip the range until you can shoot 100. I wouldn't waste the ammo at 25yds.
    But if you just want to shoot, measure centerline of scope to centerline of bore and zero that distance below crosshair.

27 yards will have an approximate POI at 200 yards zero for most "deer calibers". Lock it down and you should be able to walk the crosshairs from the target to the first bullet hole in 1-3 rounds total.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My POI has always been one inch low at 25 yards, with the expectation that would give me a 200 yard zero.

270 Winchester… 130 gr

That seemed to put me just low at 100 yards if I remember correct.

3/4 of an inch low will put you close. Center of scope to center of bore measurement and actual velocity of the bullet (not just what is printed on box) are needed for more accurate estimate.

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

Velocity doesn’t matter at 25 yds. Sight in 3/4” -1” low at a tiny dot, to minimize error then correct at 100.

its funny all the different answers.

well, at least it is to me.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.