Bible Study Verse

Psalm 148: 5-10

Let them praise the name of the LORD, For He commanded and they were created. He has also established them forever and ever; He has made a decree which will not pass away.

Praise the LORD from the earth,
Sea monsters and all deeps;
Fire and hail, snow and clouds;
Stormy wind, fulfilling His word;
Mountains and all hills;
Fruit trees and all cedars;
Beasts and all cattle;
Creeping things and winged fowl.
(NASB)

Thoughts:

It is believed by many scholars that the entire book of Psalms was at one time set to music. Most of the Psalms were composed by David. Since he was a master musician in his own right, we assume that he probably wrote lyrics and melody, although he very well may have given some of them to the choir director to add the tune. Now don't get upset when I say that he composed the lyrics. I firmly believe that the Lord is the One who inspired the authors what to write; but He also gave the talent to the writers to be able to compose in a way that would be both inspiring to us and praising to Him. We miss much of the poetry of the Psalms, because we do not read it in the language it was originally written. We miss the rhyming and symmetry. We do not, however, miss the meaning and the praise and worship that is being offered to our Lord and God. DWH

Action Point:

It is interesting to me that Psalm 148 tells us that, not only are we to praise the Lord, but all of creation is to praise the Lord! Is this just hyperbole? I really don't think so. Our Lord told us in Luke 19:40:

"I tell you, if these become silent, the stones will cry out!" We underestimate the Lord's power. The next time you are in the outdoors think on this--not only about praising the Lord yourself, but about all creation praising Him along with you! I am not one who believes that the animals have thoughts as we do (as portrayed in the various cartoons). However, that does not mean that the Lord did not equip them to praise Him!

Sportsmen's Tip of the Day:

Take a hymnal with you when you go on outings, especially when you are going with the family. I travel and live in a motel for the better part of six months out of the year. I always have a hymnal with me to help me praise the Lord. I take it with me hunting and camping as well.