Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gun carry question...

Why say anything? I’m of the mindset it’s none of their fucking business.

Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    If you have a cwp you are required to inform the officer of your pistol if I remember correctly and the law has changed. I let mine expire and sold all my guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin' Labs View Post
    If you have a cwp you are required to inform the officer of your pistol if I remember correctly and the law has changed. I let mine expire and sold all my guns.
    You are only required to tell the officer you have a handgun if it is on your person.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

I have never had any trouble with an officer and any gun in my truck. Even when I did not have a CWP and carried one.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    You are only required to tell the officer you have a handgun if it is on your person.
    Thanks for the clarification

Quote Originally Posted by darealdeal View Post
    I have never had any trouble with an officer and any gun in my truck. Even when I did not have a CWP and carried one.
    Acting decent goes a long way

I usually hand them my CWP along with my drivers license and paperwork. Seems more tasteful than sayin “hey I got a gun in here”.

Also include in that stack a Krispy Kreme gift card. Goes a long way.

Acting decent goes a long way
    Correct. Letting them know when they come to the window and ask for my stuff I have always told them where it is located and it is loaded and if I have my rifle or shotgun that it is in its case and unloaded and ammo separate. Hand them my info and never had an issue. Only person to ever say anything is a game warden about a shotgun not being in a case while while driving on a road one time when he was checking my license during dove season. Did not get a ticket just told me he could if he wanted to and moved on with his day.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Correct. Letting them know when they come to the window and ask for my stuff I have always told them where it is located and it is loaded and if I have my rifle or shotgun that it is in its case and unloaded and ammo separate. Hand them my info and never had an issue. Only person to ever say anything is a game warden about a shotgun not being in a case while while driving on a road one time when he was checking my license during dove season. Did not get a ticket just told me he could if he wanted to and moved on with his day.
    Was the road on a WMA?

I was checked by a game warden on a county road with 2 loaded turkey guns between the front seats and he never acknowledged them.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Woodie View Post
    Was the road on a WMA?

I was checked by a game warden on a county road with 2 loaded turkey guns between the front seats and he never acknowledged them.
    Yes coming off a dove field. Waiting to check people coming off the field instead of walking on. Was headed to another place and the gun was just sitting in the back seat. Was open and unloaded shells in a backpack.

Yes coming off a dove field. Waiting to check people coming off the field instead of walking on. Was headed to another place and the gun was just sitting in the back seat. Was open and unloaded shells in a backpack.
    Gotcha, that makes sense.

It's really pretty simple and straight forward.
    As a CWP holder I'm usually strapped 95% of the time. If pulled I give LEO driver license, CWP permit, registration and insurance. I don't declare anything, let him ask the questions.
    As a CWP holder but not strapped, gun is always in the console. If pulled I give LEO driver license, registration and insurance. I don't declare anything, let him asks the questions.

I don't leave my pistol in door pockets, under the seat, etc.

Didnt it used to be a requirement that you tell them you have a cwp even if no weapon in car?
    I don’t get pulled over much so I don’t really worry about all of this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^^ see my post above. It's not my opinion. It's what the law requires.

Quote Originally Posted by Islandguy85 View Post
    Didnt it used to be a requirement that you tell them you have a cwp even if no weapon in car?
    I don’t get pulled over much so I don’t really worry about all of this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Granted it’s been 10yrs now since I took the class but they told us you only had to tell them if you had a weapon on your person. And a cop taught our class

Maybe swamp rat will see this thread and chime in.

If not carrying my gun on me I keep my gun separate from my insurance and registration information and don’t bother to tell them I have a gun in the vehicle.
    Last edited by Duck cutter; 05-24-2023 at 07:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    x100. If they ask, I won't lie. Last time I offered it up I was treated like a criminal. Piece of shit was real dejected when he came back after findng out I had done nothing wrong.

My experience has been different. I have been stopped, and rightfully so, four times over the last decade. Each time I kept my hands on the steering wheel until the patrolman came up to the window. I rolled the window down and immediately told them I have a CWP and a firearm in the vehicle. They thanked me for alerting them. Each time I drove off with a warning.

Same as above except for one time.

Young female cop at a big dui check point. Told her it was in center console as I handed over my papers. She started giving me a rash of shit. I turned my truck off, put on my flashers, rolled my widow up enough so it could not be reached in easily. Threw my keys on the dashboard and said, “get your fucking supervisor before I get your fuck job for harassment”. She stormed off. Her supervisor came over handed me my papers and apologized quickly. As I was getting prepared to pull off he had her over in the grass chewing her out.
    Last edited by mello_collins; 05-25-2023 at 05:44 AM.

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.