Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coach Carnell "Cadillac" Williams...

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    He woulda stayed at Alabama where he had it made as a coordinator……….
    He'll be back there before it's over with.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Who, pray tell, was that?
    I'm just saying can't have a chance at being the best, if you can't stay and build something.... seeing the recent past lets anyone who takes the job know they are in the hot seat from day #1.... No chance to build anything if they punt you out the door in >3 years..

Quote Originally Posted by Fireman View Post
    I'm just saying can't have a chance at being the best, if you can't stay and build something.... seeing the recent past lets anyone who takes the job know they are in the hot seat from day #1.... No chance to build anything if they punt you out the door in >3 years..
    Chizik won a national title then took his hands off the wheel and tanked the program two years later. He stayed for 4. Malzahn had plenty of time and was mired in and comfortable with mediocrity and his teams got worse, not better every year. 7 year coach. Harsin was burning the house down and needed to go and the last 3 weeks showed it happened a little too late. 1.5 years. Other than Harsin and Chiz all Auburn's coaches have stayed for 5+ years and were given plenty of opportunity. Auburn isn't perfect for sure. The boosters make sure that doesn't happen. But it's not a coaching carousel like some universities. But I'd say in 3 years if you haven't shown progress with recruiting and player development then what are the next 3 going to do?

Chizik won a national title then took his hands off the wheel and tanked the program two years later. He stayed for 4. Malzahn had plenty of time and was mired in and comfortable with mediocrity and his teams got worse, not better every year. 7 year coach. Harsin was burning the house down and needed to go and the last 3 weeks showed it happened a little too late. 1.5 years. Other than Harsin and Chiz all Auburn's coaches have stayed for 5+ years and were given plenty of opportunity. Auburn isn't perfect for sure. The boosters make sure that doesn't happen. But it's not a coaching carousel like some universities. But I'd say in 3 years if you haven't shown progress with recruiting and player development then what are the next 3 going to do?
    I understand that. I know nothing about Auburn football. I'm just repeating what I've heard on the radio mostly during my ride home. I use that info to get a buddy riled up who grew up in Auburn.

As a Clemson fan I remember Dabo's first three years were 4-3 , 9-5, 6-7.. I for sure remember people wanting his head, myself included...

Auburn isn't perfect for sure. The boosters make sure that doesn't happen.
    These two sentences, the last one especially are the root of the problem. Auburn boosters may not be any worse than boosters anywhere else, but they have a REPUTATION for being so. Coaches know this, so some may shy away from even being interested. Its going to take a coach with a reputation and the balls to stare the boosters down for Auburn to succeed. I'd hire Cadillac. What do you have to lose? He is the salesman of the program. He needs top notch coordinators and he could be the one. Where have we seen that recipe for success.

The next Auburn coach has a chance to reclaim the state as Alabama's shadow will fade. Saban's days are numbered and there will not be another Saban. Alabama recruiting WILL suffer. His success is 5 star athletes three deep on the roster. Between his retirement, NIL and the portal, all those stars will not sit on the sidelines.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by Fireman View Post
    I understand that. I know nothing about Auburn football. I'm just repeating what I've heard on the radio mostly during my ride home. I use that info to get a buddy riled up who grew up in Auburn.

As a Clemson fan I remember Dabo's first three years were 4-3 , 9-5, 6-7.. I for sure remember people wanting his head, myself included...
    Yep! I'd say you have to look at the totality of it all as well. What's the culture and how are players responding? Auburn will hire a head case/big splash/ego candidate and if they do we'll be here again in 3 years for sure. If Kiffin comes in expectations will be high on a shorter time line than if they hire Williams and make him full time. In my opinion you give Williams 3 years and he'll show he can do the job and do it well. If they hire kiffin and Auburn goes 6-6 or worse next year it'll be "Well that was a mistake" and they're right back where they started. Another ego who wasn't able to live up the the big check and hype. Williams honestly can't lose and neither can Auburn. He'll recruit, fill the stands and take less money giving Auburn a chance to potentially have a great coach and come out from under of millions of buy out money with an economy hire.

Why would anyone want to go to Auburn right now? The program's two biggest rivals are at the top of the mountain in college football right now and you can't make Mr. Yellawood and the boosters happy. If I was Kiffin I would wait for Nick to retire at Bama. He can keep winning 9-10 at Ole Miss and keep his job. Auburn would fire him for it especially since two of those loses would be against Bama and Georgia every year.

If I was Auburn I'd keep Cadillac. He's an Auburn man who wants to be there. Kiffin isn't going to do anything but bolt for Bama when Nick retires.
    Last edited by PJ1012; 11-22-2022 at 03:49 PM.