Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First time at the cape

Default First time at the cape

Got drawn for the cape opening day. First time going to this hunt, been to broad river and bear island east before. I understand the general do's and don'ts of draw hunts but does anyone have any tips for what to bring and what not to bring to the cape specifically? Bug spray and waders are a given and I have a decoy sled and marsh stool I was planning on bringing. Any advice on types of decoys? Bring the dog? Motion decoys or just a Jerk rig? Only get to go once every 4 to 5 years just trying to cover all the bases.

6-12 Brown/black decoys, a pintail drake or two and a jerk string. Use your whistle. Also, get some of those mud shoe deals to strap onto your wader boots. Be ready to move to where the birds are going, don't try to force them to come to you.

Have a game plan of what you want to try and shoot. If there are birds there, nothing worse than wearing out teal and gadwalls right off the bat only to see a 'trophy' you've been after land in your decoys at 10AM and all you can do is watch. Don't know your physical condition but if you are able, get there early, talk with the techs and tell them you don't mind putting in some effort to get to where the birds are.
    Formerly DM88

don't sit in blind. opening day may not matter. hide the boat and yourself well. stay still. stay low. wait. be picky. 6-8 decoys. pintail, mallard, black. hide your face. don't come out early. like you said, it's once every 4 or 5 years enjoy the beauty. listen to where they say the birds are in your particular spot. agree w dubs, decide what you are after ahead of time.

https://scducks.com/forum/showthread...-Hunt-The-Cape
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston

They will provide sleds and marsh stools. I'd pack light, maybe a half dozen decoys, so you can be more mobile. It can be a very arduous hunt. I brought my dog the times I've been but it was cold and not much concern for gators.

Pray the mud is firmer than Murphy and the boat doesn't leak. I couldn't be paid to step off one of those dikes at Murphy again.
    Last edited by CofC Waterfowler; 11-01-2022 at 04:34 PM.

I dont know if they provide a marsh stool but you need one. Bring burlap or something to cover the boat.

Don't hesitate to move to the ducks.

If you move to where they ducks are and they start piling into where you just left, that means you don't have enough flocking on your decoys.
    DILLIGAF

has the rut started in the upstate?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
    If you move to where they ducks are and they start piling into where you just left, that means you don't have enough flocking on your decoys.
    or you dont saddle

20221101_160400.jpg

I'll be there, different date.

You're going to draw a blind. Techs will tell you where to go and what you will see. Listen to them. They do want you to be successful. Hard to hide in a lot of places. It'll be warm so dont take your dog.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

i think first hunt is an interesting adjunct to this discussion.
    not as blind shy and not likely to get the tech's number to move somewhere.

but, most likely, they will have scouted well and will be putting you in a position to be successful.

and who knew chene wader HS has chene shells?

Haha, I've got a spread of misc non toxic. Between older Tungsten and bismuth. You, plus me are old enough to remember shooting lead legally. I'd rather shoot 8s or 6s Tungsten or lead then anything steal.

When he typed about what to bring decent shells come to my mind.. I'm not really going to miss often, but I'll be damned about swatting at cripples. I'm not into chasing ducks. Similar to CoC, Murphy Island my last hunt inspired me to be in better form.

*I'll still have on a greasy coat if it is cooler and a 686. I still try stay stylishly antiquated
    Last edited by Highstrung; 11-01-2022 at 04:41 PM.

I hope for you that the temperature is in the low 40’s.

Having a game plan is cool, but also plan in what the guys down there are talking about. A couple draws ago, if I'd of waited on anything besides one brown duck and teal.. I'd of not killed anything but spoonbills. I'm still refusing to shoot them, that hunt I shot at and killed three birds.. it was hot, miserable, and gators were out.. we had young ones all around us setting up.

Our last hunt, we didn't see a thing near us besides blue wings and gadwalls. I killed 6 gadwalls, my buddy killed 6 blue wings, scratch that.. saw some spoonbills.

There are birds there now. Mottleds, teal, shovelers , some pintails and some gadwalls.

It’s a managed marsh field that looks and hunts like all the rest.

Take 3 dozen decoys on short Texas rigs, a marsh seat, 4 brown spray painted grass mats, and a jerk rig.

Go kill some ducks.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Everybody says be ready to move. Last time I was there(in January) I stayed in the blind. Some ducks landed wide or acted a little shy, but we still killed our limit of drake pintails, mottled ducks, gadwalls and wigeon.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 11-01-2022 at 08:20 PM.

When I went there 8 years ago I probably brought 5 dozen decoys. We were done in 15 minutes with gadwalls and pintails.
    867-5309

Make sure to call the green jeans out after the hunt when he picks up your sprig and a gadwal hen and says you’re over the 1 bird limit…