Thread: Lost a good man today.

Default Lost a good man today.

This was my neighbor, I’m gonna miss him.

MANNING – Colonel George P. Summers, USAF, Retired, 85, husband of Carole Wall Summers, died Sunday, July 10, 2022, at his home.

Born, March 10, 1937, in Ashland, Wisconsin, he was the son of the late Perry Summers and the late Helen Grace Bowers Summers. He was a retired Colonel in the United States Air Force, where he served as a fighter pilot. He was a member of Jordan United Methodist Church where he served as Lay Leader and Chairman of the Church Council.

Colonel Summers earned his Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering at Duke University and his Master of Science from Troy State University. Colonel Summers retired from the US Air Force at Shaw Air Force Base after 30 years of service. He was stationed at 15 bases in the US and five foreign countries. He flew over 4100 hours flying fighter aircraft like the F-4 and the F-16. He served in the Vietnam War and Desert Shield / Storm. His many military decorations include the Legion of Merit, Distinguished Flying Cross, Air Medals, and Bronze Star Medal.

A Francis Marion Trail Commission member, President of the Swamp Fox Murals Trail Society, and a Board member of the Clarendon County Chamber of Commerce. He is also a life member of the Distinguished Flying Cross Society, Veterans of Foreign Wars, Order of Daedalian, Vietnam Veterans of America, Red River Valley Fighter Pilots Association, the Military Officers Association of America, McLeod Clarendon Community Relations Board Member, National Society of DAR Excellence in Community Service Award, Southern Campaign of the American Revolution Lifetime Achievement Award for the Francis Marion Symposium, 2nd SC Regiment, General Society of the Sons of the Revolution, and he initiated the first annual Clarendon County National Prayer Breakfast through the Manning and Summerton Rotary Clubs.

Alive for ww2 and fought in desert storm. Pretty awesome

They don't make them like that anymore.

I'm sure my uncle who passed away last year, a retired Lt Colonel from Shaw AFB, and Mr Summers knew one another.

RIP Sir!

George was a good man. He'd do anything for his community and neighbors. I'm going to miss seeing him walk that little weiner dog with Mrs. Carroll.