Thread: Jupiter Florida

Default Jupiter Florida

Going to be in Jupiter Florida at the end of the week. Anyone have any experience with offshore in the area? Have some family down there now. They fished today and got skunked. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Live bait is your friend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vertical jigging

Pilchards on light floro and a small hook through the nose. You’ll stay hooked up from the moment you pull the throttle back til you’re out of bait.

What method of fishing? Sharks and bonita likely thick by now.
    Trolling? Bottom?

We sailfish there several months out of the year. Goggle Eyes on kites is how we fish.

Trolling. We aren’t set up for much else.

Quote Originally Posted by Crzyunclelewis2 View Post
    Get the correct data for your bottom machine (or a MU chart for the area) and fish the reefs. They get hit hard but you'll bend the rod. Kings, dolphin, bonita trolling. Mostly small to barely legal bottom critters due to pressure but you'll have action. There's a hump in 300 feet of water or so called Push Button Hill (I think). Supposed to hold blackfin but I've never fished it. You can always try finding an edge further offshore but I imagine the fish are spread out this time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by Crzyunclelewis2 View Post
    Check with a local tackle shop for current info/tips but I think it will be tough trolling this time of year (getting out of the bonita).

I grew up in south Florida. By June I would run out pretty far to get on dolphin. A lot of the fish are smaller so I always ran some small naked skirts (ch lol bubblers and swimmers) to avoid a bunch of short strikes (also ballyhoo now is $20plus a dozen!)

Frigates are your friend. Wish we had them off Daytona like we did in south Florida. Heck most of the time I’d just run and follow them until they found fish.
    Last edited by hunterjw; 06-14-2022 at 11:59 AM.

Run to West End. Troll the ledge. You'll catch blackfin, dolphin, sail, cero.

Have you ever been to the southern part of the gulf when the Bonita run?

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    Have you ever been to the southern part of the gulf when the Bonita run?
    They are what’s called a trophy fish so yeah they’re pretty big!

Seen the biggest school of Bonito last week in Florida I ever seen and I have seen a bunch. It looked like hail hittin the water from a distance like as far as you could see.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

2D51DDC0-9ADC-4B4E-A3D4-B51CE02AB30B.jpeg

This is a bonehead. That’s the name all the NC charter deckhands called em, I reckon because all the other names are either stupid (little tunny) or wrong (bonito). I heard a jackleg call them Caribbean tuna once. He gets points for originality. We caught those things constantly and cut them into chunks for bailing dolphin, which was a 60 fish per day operation every day, without fail.

One point to note about this fish - they are good as sashimi. Cut away the blood line and go to work.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_tunny

Bonita, Bonito........ tomayto, tomahto....or Little Tunny. It's all the same fish.
    Either way, Fish is correct, mostly caught and used for bait, cut into strips for trolling or chunks for schooling dolphin, etc.
    Also not too bad for the table if desired. The smaller ones are actually pretty good if cleaned and iced down and eaten same day. (never frozen) We've fried a few that we caught fishing out of Stuart/Jupiter over the years and they weren't too bad.

Bonito.jpg

Go ahead, one of you homos is gonna say it.

But to the OP's original post- Snook fishing should be picking up right now. Depending on what type boat you have, fishing the dock lights around Jupiter Inlet at night, the reff at Blowing Rock a few miles north of Jupiter Inlet or the jetties coming out of Stuart inlet in the morning would be a good bet.