Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: Processors full every where

Quote Originally Posted by Drakey View Post
    Ours is $10 per deer. We charge $15. Skinner gets $10, owner gets $5.
    That’s not bad at all. About $300 an hour if you’re this guy

But in all honesty if I was in school with no money that sounds like a great gig. Not only for the cash but if sure you’d meet people for hunting opportunities..

I have no knowledge of the economics of deer processing but I’d imagine this situation would be an economic opportunity to folks with the necessary skill set. Open a business that is seasonal in nature, make some money, and slack off the rest of the year.

I know one or two folks that seem to have made a decent living at it.

Quote Originally Posted by billyjack View Post
    I have no knowledge of the economics of deer processing but I’d imagine this situation would be an economic opportunity to folks with the necessary skill set. Open a business that is seasonal in nature, make some money, and slack off the rest of the year.

If you could handle the taxidermy part, the better. That would give you work after the season is over. You'd have to hate hunting, though - you'd never have time to go.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    bc they all sucked lemons as kids. its a gateway fruit and you know it
    8300F178-C347-4B38-B10C-B4391F65A35D.jpg
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by billyjack View Post

You can make decent money at it if you do the majority of it by yourself.

Damn those nails VG...

Those are paws

They ain't booger hooks, that's for sure. I bet VG couldn't shove one of those sausages in his nose if he wanted to and would probably need a tetanus shot if he did.

Working man's hands, ain't no shame in that.

Damn sure ain't.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Y'all know how to hurt a mans feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by scatter shot View Post
    They ain't booger hooks, that's for sure. I bet VG couldn't shove one of those sausages in his nose if he wanted to and would probably need a tetanus shot if he did.

Working man's hands, ain't no shame in that.

You ain't right...but you ain't wrong either

Quote Originally Posted by hunterjw View Post

But in all honesty if I was in school with no money that sounds like a great gig. Not only for the cash but if sure you’d meet people for hunting opportunities..

David cleaned one for me at peach orchard a couple years ago, he wasn't making a video but was done in about 3 minutes. I wouldn't want to get in a knife fight with that guy, it would be a short one for sure

Quote Originally Posted by hunterjw View Post

That dude is quick no doubt. That knife is pretty impressive too.

You can also find some pretty sweet deals on hunting equipment. Pro tip. A few years ago, a guy came in with a switchback and he needed some money. He left with $100 and they bow stayed.

I support the idea that if you are out there hunting, you should be capable of handling the animal after the shot, but I feel a little convicted that it is our responsibility as the hunting community to teach. Not just our own kids or nephews, but our new peers. My dad didn't hunt, and my uncles that did we just were not as close to when I was young, so I missed out on a lot of the mentorship that comes from family when I was young. I got introduced to duck hunting through friends, but never really got into deer hunting until later in life. I went to culinary school and took meat fabrication and charcuterie classes, and have been able to apply that training to home game processing. i don't work in that industry anymore so for me I enjoy putting those skills to use, especially when it comes to sausages, jerky etc. I really only use a processor when time is the issue or if I want to replenish my cube steak stock - I don't have that machine at home. I feel like a lot of folks don't know because they just haven't been shown and when someone finds out they don't know they just get flak for it.

Quote Originally Posted by quackerjax View Post
    I support the idea that if you are out there hunting, you should be capable of handling the animal after the shot, but I feel a little convicted that it is our responsibility as the hunting community to teach. Not just our own kids or nephews, but our new peers. My dad didn't hunt, and my uncles that did we just were not as close to when I was young, so I missed out on a lot of the mentorship that comes from family when I was young. I got introduced to duck hunting through friends, but never really got into deer hunting until later in life. I went to culinary school and took meat fabrication and charcuterie classes, and have been able to apply that training to home game processing. i don't work in that industry anymore so for me I enjoy putting those skills to use, especially when it comes to sausages, jerky etc. I really only use a processor when time is the issue or if I want to replenish my cube steak stock - I don't have that machine at home. I feel like a lot of folks don't know because they just haven't been shown and when someone finds out they don't know they just get flak for it.
    It goes back to not wasting game and taking care of the animal after it is killed. Nothing more of a pain than to clean one squirrel or one catfish. You took it you clean it. I have cleaned more fish than i could eat in four lifetimes and pretty good at it but when on a trip out of town or on vacation just happy to find someone willing to do it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by quackerjax View Post
    Good post. Whether they even know how to process a deer is irrelevant for most hunters. It is 2021, not 1821 or even 1921. Most hunters live in town or the city. They don't own land and either hunt a club or public lands. Most of those tracts have no processing equipment. These hunters have no place to dump the leftover carcass of an animal on 2332 Maple Street USA. Processors solve this problem. That is just fact.

What some of you seem to be saying is that we don't want or need them as hunters. Game that out and get back to me...

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    Hahaha.

I was scrolling through on my phone and stopped on the first picture and immediately knew who’s hands those were. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Good post. Whether they even know how to process a deer is irrelevant for most hunters. It is 2021, not 1821 or even 1921. Most hunters live in town or the city. They don't own land and either hunt a club or public lands. Most of those tracts have no processing equipment. These hunters have no place to dump the leftover carcass of an animal on 2332 Maple Street USA. Processors solve this problem. That is just fact.

What some of you seem to be saying is that we don't want or need them as hunters. Game that out and get back to me...
    Good post JAB. I think a lot of people on here forget how blessed they are to own land or have family that taught them the proper way to hunt/fish.

Well,

What’s that dude on Maple Street going to do with his deer he killed when he finds out after the kill that there’s no processor to take it to?

He needs to keep his ass at home if he doesn’t already have a plan in place.

What about when he shoots one with his crossbow early in the season and finds it at midnight? What’s he gonna do then?

Several years ago, I hit a doe on the Ben Sawyer Causeway, ironically on the way home from deer hunting. My wife was mortified when I cleaned it under the shed in the back yard. I don't think my marriage could hold up to me cleaning them there every time I shot one. If I didn't have a place in the country, a processor would be my only choice.

Where do public land suburban and city hunters clean their deer?