Thread: ark. trip

Default ark. trip

me and a few buddies are trying to plan a trip during our christmas break and all want to try arkansas. where would yall suggest starting to get info on where to go ect.

Northeast Arkansas Outfitters
    Charles Petty
    He is awesome. PM me for his #.

Do some research on the net. Look up the WMA's. Find the 2007-08 Harvest totals. Plan on spending at least the first day scouting, and getting familiar with the place you are going to hunt that way you dont get lost the next morning. Get out there and do it. Dont get a guide. Dont piss people off. Dont take a spinner. Take maybee 2 dozen dekes, you probably wont even need a dozen. Get a jerk string. Dont wear shadowgrass in the timber. Have fun.

Blowdown, it sounds like you have been there before. Any pictures!!

pm sent

Quote Originally Posted by CAJUN LAB View Post
    Northeast Arkansas Outfitters
    Charles Petty
    He is awesome. PM me for his #.
    do NOT waste your time with him.
    we went there about 5 years ago, and he was over booked, so instead of hunting mornings and afternoons(which is what we payed for) we ended up hunting afternoons only. that man is worthless, he shit us several times while we were there.
    the guides were fat and lazy, there were no ducks(i know you cant help that sometimes), and he is worthless.

we hunted 2 days, and shot maybe 5 shells between the 3 of us.

you are better off hangin onto your money, and hunting sc, than going with him.

Y'all looking to try for any ducks in particular, or just hunt Arkansas?

were looking for green heads, so we figured the best place to go would be arkansas. our biggest thing is money cause like i said were all students = little money. plus i think we've seen one to many tv shows of people slaughtering um down there.

how about the bayou meto WMA? Is that worth the drive?

Quote Originally Posted by woodykillingmachine View Post
    were looking for green heads, so we figured the best place to go would be arkansas. our biggest thing is money cause like i said were all students = little money. plus i think we've seen one to many tv shows of people slaughtering um down there.
    That's cool, I was just wondering. I go to the Outer Banks every year, and over the years have killed a good variety of ducks, as well as the guide I hunt with killing an even better variety each season. I had thought about Arkansas years ago, but realized that with a minimal desire for mallards, and a taste for variety this was the place to go. Plus it's a lot closer than Arkansas. Killed five different species last year in two days. Good luck on the hunt.

Has anybody ever hunted the Big Lake WMA in NE Arkansas?

Like Blowdown said. Get on the net and do some research. If money is a problem the WMA is the way to go. You can find hotels for $50 and night and split that. Gas is going to be the biggest killer. Get out the first day and scout. OBEY the laws. Find one particular WMA you want to hunt and learn your way around. Stick to one for the first time. Good luck.
    Warning: The Surgeon General has determined that turkey hunting is an addictive activity that will disrupt normal sleep patterns!

Hunted Big Lake last year for a 4 days - I am sure it is good ( and crowded)
    at times - I think we killed maybe a dozen or so Mallards - 2 guys - but we hunted the best holes - prescouted got there early shined people
    off like in the swamp- hunted till 11 everyday - the warden that waited us out the first day said we had more ducks than anyone he had seen -
    said the rest area was holding only 25k. Got the spare trailor tire stolen
    other boys from here they stole 100 qt. cooler of froze food -
    You would be better off hunting Rainey Brake - killed a lot of ducks there
    in years past - key is waiting til 9 to start hunting when the rubberheads leave.

Hey Bear, I want to hear more about the Outer Banks, whats that scenario like?
    The Swamp Donkey, 1648 War Eagle, Johnson 40

ive hunted bayou meta, big lake, the black river near pocohontas, and the st. francis river with no guides. we did know some people who lived there however when we hunted the st. francis, big lake, and black river. it's a good experience, but crowded. if you dont know where your going or going too slow in the bayou meta you best get out of the way cause you will get ran over in there. we free lanced every mornin when we hunted bayou meta and did fairly well, we killed mallards, a few teal, and woodies in the timber there. We tried to find places away from every one else and then watch where the birds were goin and move accordingly, which when we were there was in some thick stuff with small landing holes in the trees. like i said its a really fun trip but dont piss off locals, make sure your with in the law cause you will get checked by the gw's, reserve your hotel rooms as early as possisble and dont go to macks with a credit card cause you will leave in debt.

Pocohontas at the Black River is pretty country - probably the one place I would
    choose to live other than here.

The other guys that hunted with us went to suken lands one morning
    last season and saw a grand total of 7 ducks - flying high at that.
    Might be Ark. version of the swamp.

"Pocohontas at the Black River is pretty country - probably the one place I would
    choose to live other than here."

you aint lyin ... we got lucky with that trip. the guy we knew had one of the river cabins that was across the river. i can't remember which boat ramp we were at but none the less it is beautiful there. if i could find a river house and a job to pay for it out there i'd get in my truck right now.

Bear, what guide do you use for the Outer Banks? Been wanting to try up there for something different. Any info would be a big help. Woody, sorry to hijack the thread.
    HRCH Lemon's Lady Chesney MH
    SHR Lemon's Pinch Of Long Cut aka Hagen
    "Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative." -Mordecai Siegal
    "If forced to choose between romantic love and my dog, I'd sure choose my dog." -Solange