Thread: Red Dot and Fixed Iron Sights

Default Red Dot and Fixed Iron Sights

What's your preference when you have a red dot with fixed iron sights...

... Co-Witness or 1/3 Co-Witness?

I'm setting up a new upper with a red dot and already have some fixed sights in the parts boxes. I think I'm leaning towards the 1/3 Co-Witness set-up as the irons seem to make the sight picture too busy.

I'm only asking for other input since I've never run an RD with irons, so am curious as to what those of you who have the experience have gone with, and why.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Lower 3rd

The third word of your question says it all.. preference. I agree true co-witness with fixed irons is too busy but some prefer it. I run flip-ups with my dots as back up only. Irons used with a modern quality red dot, will in most cases be redundant. But, one is none, two is one and in cases of having a third, you MAY have only what’s necessary.
    “Get out among the mountains and trees, friend, as soon as you can. They will do more for you than either man or woman could.” Theodore Roosevelt to John Muir after his wife's passing in 1905.

lower 1/3rd and dont waste your money on irons if you have a quality optic. IMO

If my optics quit, I quit hunting and get it fixed. If I was regularly on a battle field, I might consider backup for my glass optics. The odds of your optics picking the 1 in 10,000,000,000 chance that you'll be in a gunfight as the time to quit working isn't worth the worry. If it's that serious, you won't be focusing on iron sights either.

Get a dot with an etched reticle and it won’t matter if it dies.

Rambo only shot off the hip.

Quote Originally Posted by saltedbutter View Post
    lower 1/3rd and dont waste your money on irons if you have a quality optic. IMO
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    If my optics quit, I quit hunting and get it fixed. If I was regularly on a battle field, I might consider backup for my glass optics. The odds of your optics picking the 1 in 10,000,000,000 chance that you'll be in a gunfight as the time to quit working isn't worth the worry. If it's that serious, you won't be focusing on iron sights either.
    Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    Get a dot with an etched reticle and it won’t matter if it dies.
    I mocked up a handguard with the (new) red dot I got in a recent trade with the fixed irons I already had sitting in a spare parts box. They matched at 1/3 co-witness, and, as I felt the last time I played with it, I don't like the mix at all, especially since my eyes no longer work well with iron sights for any small targets.

I agree that if I were to spend the money on a good red dot, it would have an etched reticle like my LPVO's.

If I even mess with irons for this 'truck/tractor' upper, I'd put them on a 45 degree offset like the ones I have set up on my coyote upper with a scope.

Thanks for your input.
    ~ George Washington

I run a full cowitness. If I am shooting right, I never notice the front sight, even if it is up. If my battery dies and I'm using a round tube optical, it works as a big ghost ring rear at close range.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Rat View Post
    I run a full cowitness. If I am shooting right, I never notice the front sight, even if it is up. If my battery dies and I'm using a round tube optical, it works as a big ghost ring rear at close range.
    This right here...
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Steelin' Ducks is the KRT of suppressors and such.

Same here.

SW bout to start cowitnessin up in here.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

I like this thought right here without the front site. If I was shooting far enough to really need one, a dot, or an LVPO, I should have a different rifle with me.

For that matter, depending on what the slugs in WDC do, these extra parts may have to move to someone else's workbench....
    ~ George Washington