Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No one gets into the Hall of Fame in 2020

Default No one gets into the Hall of Fame in 2021

Y'all see where not a single player got enough votes to get into Cooperstown this year? Apparently it's pretty rare but it's happened before.

With all the players on the ballot from the steroid era it's not incredibly surprising. My only beef is with Curt Schilling not getting in. I relate this issue to the Pete Rose situation where he's being blackballed for off the field stuff. I'm not talking steroid use, I'm talking about his mouth. Now, let me state that I don't think Pete and Curt are in the same ballpark as players. Curt's accomplishes obviously pale in their respective comparison, but what I'm saying is the writers voting are bringing in the off field stuff here. Aside from the guy being a straight up shit bag, convicted criminal, or wife beater, most of that off field stuff should be off limits, and I don't think that's happening and it's sad.

Schilling was a great, reliable pitcher, who did ready good things on and off the field. His postseason record of 11-2 while leading his teams to 3 World Series titles speaks for itself. MVP in 2001, with 6 All Star appearances.

Opinions?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 01-28-2021 at 12:46 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

2021 I meant...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."

Yea not saying bonds should get in but he did Win 3 mvps before he got big. Not many that could hit like him and he’d be there If he didn’t do what he did.

I’ve got no use for baseball writers. They’re as bad as politicians in my book

Who gives a shit about steroids. It’s a freaking game for entertainment. I love baseball and played it most of my life and I can tell you this almost every elite athlete as doing something borderline or illegal most of the time

Pete Rose was my favorite player growing up. Hard worker and so much heart for the game, but he gambled, bet on baseball and on his own team, then lied about it until he couldn’t anymore. He doesn’t deserve to be in.

Bonds and Clemens were some of the best ever, and they didn’t do anything that everyone else wasn’t doing. They should be in.

Schilling was good sometimes. He is not Walter Johnson. I really have no opinion about him.
    Last edited by JJ1965; 01-28-2021 at 06:36 AM.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ1965 View Post
    Pete Rose was my favorite player growing up. Hard worker and so much heart for the game, but he gambled, bet on baseball and on his own team, then lied about it until he couldn’t anymore. He doesn’t deserve to be in.

Bonds and Clemens were some of the best ever, and they didn’t do anything that everyone else wasn’t doing. They should be in.

Schilling was good sometimes. He is not Walter Johnson. I really have no opinion about him.
    I don’t keep up with sports but I’m guessing you mean Roger Clemens, my dad put the skylights in house years ago. I remember Dad telling me that Clemens wasn’t a real personable guy but Roger did give him an autographed picture for him to give to me. I’ll have to see if I can dig it up, havent thought about it in years until reading this thread
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by Remy View Post
    I’ve got no use for baseball writers. They’re as bad as politicians in my book
    Agreed. What did Ted Williams call those bone wipes? Knights of the typewriter? They are the worst kind of judgmental, gatekeeping douches imo.

Schilling deserves in. He was huge in big games for every team he was on. A Yankee killer for two different teams. Yes, he is abrasive and wasn't beloved among all teammates. So what? Is it baseball or a Saturday afternoon bridge club? I think he was as dominant as Sandy Koufax. Maybe more so.

As far as the steroid era goes...if writers were as prejudiced against amphetamine users -- which were used heavily for decades -- very few players many revere from the 60's clear to the steroid era would be in the HOF.

Put Bonds in the HOF. I think he was abrasive, too, but again...he friggin' dominated long before he started juicing in 1999. And once he juiced, he dominated then, too. He proved he could dominate natural or juiced.
    Last edited by w33kender; 01-28-2021 at 07:10 AM.

The steroid issue is debatable at least b/c it goes to the competitive aspect of the game itself. Not saying the players using steroids when steroids were pervasive in the sport shouldn't get in, but I can see how you can argue either side of that issue. What's disturbing is when off-the-field stuff becomes part of the conversation (e.g., Schilling and his political stances). Where do you draw the line on that? Are you telling me that some of the greats from all sports who are in the HOF didn't have some stances on social issues that would now be considered wrong? But one example would be players who were against integration...should they be expelled from the HOF? I would say, of course not...history is messy but it's still history. But as we've seen with statues being taken down, etc., leaders these days are willing to cave to the masses who embrace whatever moral outrage the moment dictates.

Bonds couldn’t throw out Sid Bream from 160’......I guess credit is due for his valiant 7 hop effort, but Sid Bream was the runner......sorry, not allowed in.

Tater has a point

Also, once the league began testing for PED's, Bond's never once tested positive.
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Andruw should be in before any of them
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Schillings bloody sock is in the hall
    Tyler Simmons wasn’t offsides. 1-9-2018
    Isaiah Bond didn’t catch the ball. 12-2-2023

Quote Originally Posted by Gut_Pile View Post
    Tater has a point

Also, once the league began testing for PED's, Bond's never once tested positive.
    No he doesn't. Every batter in the Hall failed to hit the ball on average 6 to 7 out of 10 times to the plate. If you let the things a player "didn't" do overshadow what they did I think it's a flawed view point.

Like others said, Bonds was raking before he was juicing. He's a great baseball player but will likely never get in.

Schilling on the other hand, deserves to be in. I like the way he speaks his mind and isn't scared to do so. Screw the writers and their butthurt.

The single act that got Schilling fired from ESPN was a comment he made on someone else's social media post about his standpoint of "if you have a wang you use the men's room. If you don't have one you use the women's room." It really is that simple. And some politically correct panty wastes at HQ decided that speaking this truth was not allowed because it might hurt someone's poor little feelings. Bunch of LGBTQ sympathizers. It's that "you must agree with us or you're gone" type of mentality. That's some BS.

Last edited by willyworm; 01-28-2021 at 10:41 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Schilling not being in is a disgrace.
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post

I agree

Harold Baines is in........Harold. Baines. Let that sink in.

The baseball HOF is and bad as the Heisman these days. Writers showing bias and holding grudges. If Curt Schilling wasn’t good enough, it’s all BS.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Does it matter? Grown men playing with balls. Good for them for making a dang fine living at it but rather unimportant in the scheme of things at least to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk