Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chinese seeds

Default Chinese seeds

So, people in various states are getting packages of seeds randomly in the mail from China. Playing another little joke, China?

RICHMOND, Va. (WDBJ) - The Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (VDACS) has issued a warning about seeds that could be dangerous to the environment.

VDACS said some Virginia residents have received packages they didn’t order, containing seeds that appear to have originated from China. It’s not clear what types of seeds are in the packages, but they could be invasive plant species, according to VDACS. The packages were sent by mail and may have Chinese writing on them.

People who receive the seeds are urged not to plant them. VDACS encourages anyone who receives unsolicited seeds in the mail to contact the Office of Plant Industry Services (OPIS) at 804-786-3515 or through the
    ReportAPest@vdacs.virginia.gov email, especially if they appear to come from China.

According to a statement from VDACS, “Invasive species wreak havoc on the environment, displace or destroy native plants and insects and severely damage crops. Taking steps to prevent their introduction is the most effective method of reducing both the risk of invasive species infestations and the cost to control and mitigate those infestations.”

Copyright 2020 Gray Media Group, Inc. via WDBJ. All rights reserved.

https://www.wbtv.com/2020/07/24/got-...m-report-them/

LAKE CHARLES, La. (KPLC) -A St. Rose resident received an unsolicited package Friday; the package contained seeds originating from China.

The resident notified the Louisiana Department of Agriculture and Forestry (LDAF).

According to LDAF, there have been recent reports of unsolicited packages of seeds being received by people in Utah, Virginia, Washington and the United Kingdom.

“Right now, we are uncertain what types of seeds are in the package. Out of caution, we are urging anyone who receives a package that was not ordered by the recipient, to please call the LDAF immediately,” said Commissioner of Agriculture and Forestry Mike Strain, D.V.M. “We need to identify the seeds to ensure they do not pose a risk to Louisiana’s agricultural industry or the environment.”

If you receive a similar package, LDAF inspectors will need to collect the seeds and test them for positive identification. The number to call is 225-925-4733.

Some, including Arizona residents, receiving random seeds from China
    Agriculture officials are asking people to not plant these seeds, as they could wreak havoc on the environment.

https://www.fox10phoenix.com/video/833712

Anumber of Utah residents have been surprised with a peculiar package in their mailboxes—a parcel filled with seeds and Chinese writing on the outside.

"I opened them up and they were seeds," said Utah resident Lori Culley, who found her package on Tuesday with Chinese characters, plus a label stating there were earrings inside. "Obviously they're not jewelry!" she said toFox 13.

Culley, who lives in Tooele, thought it may be a case of a mistaken address, but when she posted about it on social media she found "at least 40" local residents had gotten similar packages in the past few weeks.

There are regulations as to which plants and seeds can be imported into and sold in Utah. Since the delivery, a representative from the Utah Department of Agriculture picked up Culley's seeds to have them tested. The department may also get assistance from Customs and Border Protection agents to investigate the mysterious seeds.

Culley said this is not the first time people have been mailed unidentified seeds. She researched online and found people in the U.K. had been sent something similar.

"There was an article that I found in the U.K. saying this has been happening over there, and they are bad seeds, they are invasive," Culley said. "I hope that it's nothing too serious... don't throw them in the garbage. Don't plant them. Don't touch them."

https://www.newsweek.com/utah-reside...-china-1520243

We already have kudzu. What could be worse? (serious question)

A genetically engineered wheat seed.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    A genetically engineered wheat seed.
    Please explain?

Maybe we should send them pigweed and sicklepod.

I would say the Chestnut Blight was worse than kudzu.

Don’t forget the Hemlock wooly adelgid either.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Barrels View Post
    I would say the Chestnut Blight was worse than kudzu.
    I agree. Most people in the US (around my age) do not realize that the American Chestnut was the loblolly of today.

Quote Originally Posted by StrutnBPS View Post
    Please explain?
    Never heard of a Judas goat? With genetic modification, anything is possible. Hell look at all the horrible societal effects GMO's have wrought when our own companies were only working to improve their bottom line. Now, imagine a foreign actor who sets out to do bad from the get go...

https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a547199.pdf

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1326447/

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Never heard of a Judas goat? With genetic modification, anything is possible. Hell look at all the horrible societal effects GMO's have wrought when our own companies were only working to improve their bottom line. Now, imagine a foreign actor who sets out to do bad from the get go...

https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a547199.pdf

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1326447/
    I understand that, but in what specifically do you think they could do with wheat?

We have developed seed strains to be drought resistant, short, tall, insect repellent, fungus free, chemically tolerant, you name it. What can a little Chinese fellow, fresh off a bat flu win in his laboratory come up with ? You tell me...

Default Chinese seeds

Just another good reason to Nuke these bastards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Johnny Reb; 07-25-2020 at 08:37 AM.

A seed that brings a blight or other disease to our AG industry..... It could be crippling!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Reb View Post
    Just another good reason to Nuke these bastards.

Yep
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by Two Barrels View Post
    Don’t forget the Hemlock wooly adelgid either.
    Thank You
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

I pass about 4 like that on the way home. None of them were there when I moved out here.