Thread: good goose recipes

Default good goose recipes

does anyone have good recipes for goose breasts other than regular italian dressing and worchesterchire sauce?
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Put the creatures in a bog. Lip smacking good.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Tack it to a piece of fat lighter, soak it in the above mentioned things along with some lighter fluid. Set on fire and let burn for two minutes. Extinguish with water, remove goose from board, place in trashcan and eat board.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

I make jerky out of them or do as PhoneMan said.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Cook it in the crock pot like a roast with vegetables. It tastes just like a roast.

I got this recipe from a website, capecodsportsmen. I've tried it and it was very good. Evidently sea duck recipes will work on geese. I suggest that you start the sauce first before cooking the breasts to get the proper reduction. I added a little minced garlic and teriyake sauce to my marinade too. I'm going to try it on mollusc eaters next...redheads, bluebills, and scoters. If you can make one of those edible, it will work on anything.

Eiders Cape Cod

Overnight Marinade
    4 Eider Breasts
    1/2 cup orange juice
    4 tsp cajun seasoning
    1 tbsp butter

For Sauce
    2/3 cup red wine
    1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
    2 tbsp granulated sugar
    2 tbsp dried fruit 1/4 dice
    (cranberries, cherries, apricots, or prunes)

Instructions

Mix OJ and seasonings, add breasts. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Put breasts into ziplock bag to ensure complete immersion.

Heat oven to 400 degrees

Pat breasts to dry prior to cooking

Add butter to a saucepan and heat until light brown. Add breast to pan carefully. Cook for approximately 3 minutes per side on medium heat.

Place pan into 400 degree oven and roast for approximately 6 minutes until breasts are medium rare. Remove breasts from oven and put on a warm plate. Rest 3-5 minutes before slicing.

Add wine, balsamic vinegar, and sugar to saute pan, bring to a boil, and reduce the volume by 1/2. Add 2 tbsp cold water to simmering reduction. Should be lightly thickened.

Slice warm breasts approximately 1/8 inch across grain. Serve sauce over 1/2 breast for presentation.

Do not cook more than medium rare or meat will toughen.

Found this on the DU website

Goose Bourguignon

Serves 6
    Don't let the fancy French name throw you off. This is a simple dish that requires a little time to cook, but the preparation is relatively simple. It's great for cooking in large batches and freezing for later use. It's also a good way to make use of a bunch of snow geese!
    1/2 pound bacon, chopped
    1/4 cup flour
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    4 cups snow goose breast, skin and gristle removed - cut into large cubes
    3 tablespoons olive oil
    20-24 pearl onions, peeled
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    3 cups mushrooms, quartered
    2 cups dry red wine
    2/3 cups beef stock
    1 cup chopped tomatoes, fresh or canned
    1 bay leaf
    1 teaspoon dried thyme
    1. Heat a large oven-safe casserole dish over medium heat. Add bacon and cook until crisp and golden brown. Remove bacon and reserve.
    2. Combine flour, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Dredge cubed goose in flour mixture and brown in bacon grease, adding a few pieces at a time. When well browned, remove from dish and reserve.
    3. Increase heat to medium-high and add olive oil. When oil is hot, add onions and cook while stirring often for 5 minutes, or until onions are lightly browned. Add garlic and mushrooms and cook for 3 minutes more. Stir in remaining ingredients, including reserved bacon and browned goose.
    4. Cover and place in a preheated 325-degree oven for 1 1/2 hours or until meat is tender.

I like to filet the breast, and cut into strips.

Marinade in italian or anything else you are feeling spunky with and fry.

I would suggest some strongly flavored side dishes such as below:

Garlic mashed taters...make a burgandy wine gravy from the crumblies...

Maybe some asparagus to go with it.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

I had some that had been run through a cuber and fried like cube steak and it was very tender and good.

thanks for the suggestions guys
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold