Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Big Rock

Quote Originally Posted by formerly bohica View Post
    Difference is, he’s at a marina owned by the city.
    He alone has brought more money, attention, and appeal to the tourney than the other 200 boats combined. He has lifted what would have been a drab tournament given the times and made it something special. And he’s a NC guy. Him being there is doing a lot of good for Carteret county.. few people get that kind of free pass, but MJ is definitely one of them.

For what it’s worth my best friend is mating on the dancing outlaw. They weighed before the 23 on Tuesday and beat MJ by 30#. Guess who’s fish the national media was talking about...

Difference is, he’s at a marina owned by the city.
    What’s wrong man would he not sign your hat? The difference is he is just trying to enjoy himself and have some peace. If allowed he would be harassed to no end for people wanting shit from him. I see it as a safety hazard and have enough respect for another persons rights to not be offended at the measures taken to ensure them.

Seriously? MJ has brought attention to the Big Rock?
    Clearly y’all have never fished the tournament. Nobody fishing the tournament gives a damn. He’s just another boat to fish against. Every boat in that tournament has paid the same entry fee, some of the same Calcutta, bought fuel, etc. I would love to have a private slip at a damn public dock so I could go about my business in private.
    You choose to fish a 3.3 million dollar tournament against 200 other boats, you take the same situation as everyone else.
    I would argue he has an advantage now.

He’s also brought the national media into a kill tournament. Thanks, MJ.

He’s also brought the national media into a kill tournament. Thanks, MJ.
    So are you saying you don’t agree with kill tournaments or just them being overly publicized? Serious question

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

I don’t have a problem with the few that actually exist nowadays. I do have a problem with bringing unwanted attention to them.

I don’t have a problem with the few that actually exist nowadays. I do have a problem with bringing unwanted attention to them.
    That’s what I thought you were saying. I honestly see no point in them and personally would rather see a fish that size live to see another day. It’s my understanding that once they reach that size they are pretty much done breeding and I see the benefit from a science standpoint in killing one or two to examine but I just don’t see the point in killing one in a tournament with the exception of the money.

Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Clearly y’all have never fished the tournament. Nobody fishing the tournament gives a damn. He’s just another boat to fish against. Every boat in that tournament has paid the same entry fee, some of the same Calcutta, bought fuel, etc. I would love to have a private slip at a damn public dock so I could go about my business in private.
    You choose to fish a 3.3 million dollar tournament against 200 other boats, you take the same situation as everyone else.
    Do you really believe all of the of fishermen on 200+ boats look at MJ and his boat as just another competitor? I don't think you're being realistic. I'm betting a number of them would act just like the tournament rep who interviewed MJ on the livestream. That fella lost his mind. And even though I haven't viewed all of the weigh-ins, it sure seemed like there was more buzz and a more vocal crowd for the fish MJ's boat brought back despite being 50 pounds short of the leader.

What advantage does he gain?

I have fished the tournament on many occasions and can say that most of this statement is not accurate. Sorry man, let's try another topic now.

National attention doesn’t do anything for the tournament. The people that fish the tournaments are going to fish them whether a celebrity is there or not. The fishing and the weather sucks at big rock, the only reason they get big turn out is the money.
    I don't belive in miracles, I rely on them.

Jordan fishing that tournament is cool but he’s just another famous guy in the tourney. He’s not the only public figure to fish it. Maybe with his documentary there is more buzz around his name but come on guys he’s been around NC his entire life as well as many other big names In this tournament. It’s great to have him in it but I wouldn’t go so far as saying he’s brought life to an otherwise lackluster event. It’s not as if he’s being an influx of black men to blue water fishing like tiger to golf or something. MJ loves to cut it up with rich white dudes and bet big with them.

As for MJ roping off his table, boat, condo this is nothing new. He does it everywhere he goes. When in chapel hill it’s normal place for an entire area to be closed off. I don’t even hang out in CH but was there for a Citadel football game and he had nearly half of Top of the Hill roped off for his group of white chicks and dudes he was rolling with. It’s just how he rolls. Same in CLT. So while I respect some of y’all don’t like it at the tourney it’s pretty normal in NC if you frequent places he goes on the regular. I don’t know personally but Our Office Managing Partner has gambled with him at Quail a few times and has said a lot of the reason he does it is he likes to drink, smoke and cut up and doesn’t want cameras blasting it all over the tv’s and internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Elcid_Fowler View Post
    As for MJ roping off his table, boat, condo this is nothing new. He does it everywhere he goes. When in chapel hill it’s normal place for an entire area to be closed off. I don’t even hang out in CH but was there for a Citadel football game and he had nearly half of Top of the Hill roped off for his group of white chicks and dudes he was rolling with. It’s just how he rolls. Same in CLT. So while I respect some of y’all don’t like it at the tourney it’s pretty normal in NC if you frequent places he goes on the regular. I don’t know personally but Our Office Managing Partner has gambled with him at Quail a few times and has said a lot of the reason he does it is he likes to drink, smoke and cut up and doesn’t want cameras blasting it all over the tv’s and internet.
    That last part is reason enough!

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    Pelagic 2, a Contender CC just moved in to first place. 4 man crew. 495.2 pound Blue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Not bad for a guy with an 870. Must have been an express magnum.
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

You get it, Peyton.

Chasbeau- what about it isn’t true? I started fishing that tournament in 1987. Have only missed it a handful of times due to mechanical issues, etc.

My crew, and nobody else’s I know gives a damn about MJ and his boat. Like I said, I fished against him all fall in Florida. It wasn’t a side show.

Chasbeau- what about it isn’t true? I started fishing that tournament in 1987. Have only missed it a handful of times due to mechanical issues, etc.

My crew, and nobody else’s I know gives a damn about MJ and his boat. Like I said, I fished against him all fall in Florida. It wasn’t a side show.

There’s no debating that you don’t “give a damn” about him there, we get it. What you’re not getting is other people do give a damn, it’s a big deal, he’s one of the biggest celebrities in the world and draws a crowd. What the vast majority of the world and people viewing the coverage of Big Rock think, is that they don’t “give a damn” about your opinion.

okay we get it. you fish offshore. you fish big rock. cool

This thread is full of humble brag!!

MJ is a cool dude no matter how you slice it. Like him or hate him he is a world wide icon and without a doubt draws a crowd wherever he goes.

If you don’t think it’s neat to be rubbing elbows with Jordan you are taking life too seriously!!
    Last edited by bitesize; 06-13-2020 at 09:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    There’s no debating that you don’t “give a damn” about him there, we get it. What you’re not getting is other people do give a damn, it’s a big deal, he’s one of the biggest celebrities in the world and draws a crowd. What the vast majority of the world and people viewing the coverage of Big Rock think, is that they don’t “give a damn” about your opinion.
    And don't discount the UNC basketball love. Their fans put Clemming football fans to shame. Bammer level fans. Tree killer types. Like someone said, the weigh announcer could hardly contain himself being that close. Protecting one of the most recognizable people on the planet from those people is just smart business...