Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cats and Snakes

Default Cats and Snakes

Two partners and I have bought a new piece of property on the black river, and we seem to have an inordinate amount of copperheads, specifically around the cabin. In 6 months, we have had 3 pretty close calls with copperheads and children. I really am not concerned about the adults, but I am concerned when we have 4 kids under 7 running around.

My question is, we are considering getting a couple of feral cats to keep around, and wondering if that would help. I like snakes waaaay more than I like cats, but we like our children a lot more. A huge part of the fun of being in the country is letting the kids roam, but the copperheads by the cabin are cramping that style.

Any suggestions?
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

When i bought my house, pond on one side, swamp on 2 side, i killed 4 snakes the first month there. Got a cat, problem solved for the most part.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

Get a mongoose. Rikki Tikki Tavi.

Can't hurt to try.
    Just dont get them from the human society. That group makes you promise you will keep the cats inside.

They will help, what helps more is cleaning and opening any areas that are thick where they may be laying up. We have killed up to 13 in the yard one summer, since we got a couple cats and had them fixed the numbers have went way down. Key word is get them fixed.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Some cats will kill snakes, but the main reason people think that they can eliminate a snake problem with cats is because the cats get rid of a lot of the rats and mice. Less food for snakes = less snakes. You can try the cats, but the coyotes will probably kill the cats.

Have I told you the story about the fella who had that tract before y'all finding the snake under the chair in the den yet? I'll wait until I see you with your wife again to tell that one.

Come to my neighborhood and round some up. Free. No, wait, I'll pay you.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    Come to my neighborhood and round some up. Free. No, wait, I'll pay you.
    If I can trap the one I have hanging around, I'll have one for him. Feral as hell, and comes into my barn, eats my cat's food, and sprays. Nasty thing.

I've heard copperheads time their wild numbers of laying by cicada cycles..

My brother and I caught about 25 feral cats in large dog kennel with a couple of cans of food and a string run through the kennel and tied to the door. I'll never forget when we slammed the door, they all went pure crazy simultaneously. It was a wire kennel and they were literally hanging upside down in that thing going foolish. We took them to a bridge and dumped them out the kennel over the guard rail into the river. It's a sight to behold to see 20 + cats swimming down the river together.

Cats are also vulnerable to snakebite. I don't treat as many of them as I do dogs, but you will see cats bitten.
    Hunting outside the box

Quote Originally Posted by BuckyTownsend View Post
    My brother and I caught about 25 feral cats in large dog kennel with a couple of cans of food and a string run through the kennel and tied to the door. I'll never forget when we slammed the door, they all went pure crazy simultaneously. It was a wire kennel and they were literally hanging upside down in that thing going foolish. We took them to a bridge and dumped them out the kennel over the guard rail into the river. It's a sight to behold to see 20 + cats swimming down the river together.
    I needed a good laugh today...thank you sir.

If you do catch him, I'm pretty sure there is a free catch fix release program you could get them fixed under.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post
    Cats are also vulnerable to snakebite. I don't treat as many of them as I do dogs, but you will see cats bitten.
    Thank goodness.
    Carolina Counsel

Holler at ya boy.
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

The cats will mainly kill your birds

You need a donkey or yard goat

Get a pig. You ever see a snake in a pig parlor? Nope, because pigs will eat every snake they come across.
    Last edited by flockbuster; 03-25-2020 at 03:37 PM.
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

Plus when all the snakes are gone, you can eat the pig. Can't do that with cats since you aren't Chinese
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

Quote Originally Posted by flockbuster View Post
    Get a pig. You ever see a snake in a pig parlor? Nope, because pigs will eat every snake they come across.
    Hah. He's got plenty of pigs.