Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cant kill snakes on public land in SC

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    I doubt a rattlesnake bite would kill me, maybe it would. However it would suck either way. I try and keep my life as suck free as possible. Less poisonous snakes would definitely help me achieve that goal.
    X2

So yesterday, I decide that shooting these slow flying collard doves is boring, and since they are a pain to clean, I decided to go to a spot where mourning doves were watering and picking up grit. There was also a wet spot on satellite images the near an edge of the property that I wanted to check out that was a 3/4 mile walk from where I planned to kill some mourning doves. Once over there, I headed in on the 3/4 mile walk looking for dove opportunities as I walked. I reached the wet-spot with one dove that I jumped out of the prairie grass. Unfortunately, the spot was wet, but it was not wet enough to attract or hold ducks. As I turned to head back, I spotted some sandhill cranes about 500 yards away in a wetter spot upstream in this little drainage. As I walked toward the property line to get a better look, a dove took off, and I folded it. Don't you know it fell in the only spot that had enough thick grassy shit to make finding it difficult! So, as I kicked the grass over with my foot, I could see the soil below. Three minutes, no dove. 3 minute ten seconds, I sweep my foot through the grass, and she starts singing...I see her...I blow her head off. I wonder what the chances are of her being alone, and I decide to continue the search for the dove. Five minutes later...after stomping all around this spot pushing grass to and fro to get a look underneath...the second bastard strikes at my boot as I sweep it past its face, and he only rattled as he struck and after. Luckily, the strike was a reaction to my foot startling him, and he wasn't coiled and following me, and it never hit my boot...I was in a pair of shorty, thin rubber boots btw. So that one got his head blown off too, and I decided right then and there I had done my due diligence regarding the locating of the dove. Had either of those snakes tapped me thru those boots, I don't think I'd have made it to the car with 2 fences to clear on a 3/4 mile hike in the heat. Kill em if u want, and if you do...you don't owe anyone on here or anywhere else a fucking word of explanation. Why is there a law governing what anyone does regarding a non-game, non-threatened and non-protected animal that God Himself damned shortly after creating the Earth?
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

“I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

I whole-heartedly agree, and will kill every single venomous snake in my yard.

Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    I let non venomous go free but when these are by your back steps where your two year old walk they die and i dont give a flying shit how it offends anyone.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

I kill bees. Not because I'm scared of them but because they can kill children. I love to find a wild hive and douse it with wasp killer and see them thrashing out their last bit of life.

I kill all venomous snakes and I enjoy it
    "And ignoring people on here....that's like being home schooled. Just say you're not ready to face life." Highstrung

My wife's brother in law was bitten in the forearm by an eastern diamondback 20 years ago- almost dead when he got to the hospital, given antivenom and had a reaction to it and it saved him from the snakebite but almost killed him due to the reaction- he spent over 6 months in intensive care.

Before the bite he owned his own business, had good insurance, and was in good shape financially- home, truck and boat paid off, pool in the yard, no debt, etc. He lost his business, had to mortgage his house, totally ruined financially and was never the same physically after the incident. He suffered from sudden onset weakness and massive headaches since the bite- Drs. never could find a reason.

He went to the hospital (MUSC) during a spell and died last month from an extremely rare brain stem disorder- the Drs think it was caused by the antivenom reaction.

There you go BOG- a life ruined and eventual death caused by a snakebite

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    I kill bees. Not because I'm scared of them but because they can kill children. I love to find a wild hive and douse it with wasp killer and see them thrashing out their last bit of life.
    I love a good wasp killing myself.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    I don't know anyone that's been killed by a rat either. Why do we encourage rodenticide?
    10's of millions of people have died because of rats.
    NBK II - Killing is our business and business is good!

Quote Originally Posted by sprigdog View Post
    no. violating it would be enough. taxidermists are too expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    heck, I'll play. If we took away your ability to type, I might not want to punch you in the mouth so much for being stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by River Hawk View Post
    tits like an old beagle dog

Quote Originally Posted by tman View Post
    1 in 50 million die from snakebite in USAttachment 49358
    According to this for every snake you kill you need to also kill 3.5 pit bulls to make a difference. Do your part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rats--yeah, they carry fleas which can carry bubonic plague, typhus, hantavirus and other dangerous pathogens. They have been responsible for many, many human deaths, though possibly there is more morbidity and mortality linked to mosquito bites than rat fleas.

I kind of get killing venomous snakes near a dwelling where adults, children and pets are in and out. At my home, they get relocated. In the wild, each and every one gets spared. But I actually do work in herpetology and consult on venomous bites in pets.

Every single (native) animal here holds up a place in our ecosystems. Including animals we consider pests (mosquitoes and biting flies, for example, nourish many birds).

Snake venoms are being used and researched for use in the treatment of cancers and heart disease among other things. Additionally, snake venom varies widely within any given species. So a venom ingredient in the upstate may differ from an ingredient in Alabama or even in the low country. This is why we need to be certain that these things don't go extinct.

I know a good many people (well, mostly herpetologists and field herpers) who have been bitten. In fact, I have a friend right now recovering from a cottonmouth bite (he was wading and stepped on it in water, so there goes the old wives tale that they won't bite you in the water), and Mr. Grooms who died on the Cuddo unit was an acquaintance with whom I'd shared time afield about 2 weeks before his fatal bite.

I'll still go to my grave defending these animals.
    Hunting outside the box

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    I love a good wasp killing myself.
    They will chase your ass down and will come out of nowhere and tear your ass up. I forgot how much i hate them evil bastards til you brought it up.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Quote Originally Posted by WhitewaterDuck View Post
    Kill em if u want, and if you do...you don't owe anyone on here or anywhere else a fucking word of explanation. Why is there a law governing what anyone does regarding a non-game, non-threatened and non-protected animal that God Himself damned shortly after creating the Earth?

Exactly!
    "The bird possesses a remarkable ability to turn arrogance into hopelessness." - Tom Kelly

"Some men are mere hunters, others are turkey hunters." - Archibald Rutledge

My wife married a bear, not a damn poodle..

I kill about anything I want to..

Most of you non-snake killers have to go look in your wife's purse to find your nuts anyway..
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

Quote Originally Posted by PBiz View Post
    My wife married a bear, not a damn poodle..

I kill about anything I want to..

Most of you non-snake killers have to go look in your wife's purse to find your nuts anyway..
    Hah, thats funny . . . like the scaredy cats are the ones with nuts

Quote Originally Posted by Frank1 View Post
    Hah, thats funny . . . like the scaredy cats are the ones with nuts
    My buddy has a set of nuts you could lite a sesna on, walks with a flashlight when it gets cloudy outside..
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post
    Rats--yeah, they carry fleas which can carry bubonic plague, typhus, hantavirus and other dangerous pathogens. They have been responsible for many, many human deaths, though possibly there is more morbidity and mortality linked to mosquito bites than rat fleas.

I kind of get killing venomous snakes near a dwelling where adults, children and pets are in and out. At my home, they get relocated. In the wild, each and every one gets spared. But I actually do work in herpetology and consult on venomous bites in pets.

Every single (native) animal here holds up a place in our ecosystems. Including animals we consider pests (mosquitoes and biting flies, for example, nourish many birds).

Snake venoms are being used and researched for use in the treatment of cancers and heart disease among other things. Additionally, snake venom varies widely within any given species. So a venom ingredient in the upstate may differ from an ingredient in Alabama or even in the low country. This is why we need to be certain that these things don't go extinct.

I know a good many people (well, mostly herpetologists and field herpers) who have been bitten. In fact, I have a friend right now recovering from a cottonmouth bite (he was wading and stepped on it in water, so there goes the old wives tale that they won't bite you in the water), and Mr. Grooms who died on the Cuddo unit was an acquaintance with whom I'd shared time afield about 2 weeks before his fatal bite.

I'll still go to my grave defending these animals.
    Thanks for trying!

I like shootin snakes, its fun.