Thread: Shooting rests/vises

Default Shooting rests/vises

Which do you prefer? Why?

I've always shot from sand bags for load development, knowing all along that a vise is probably a necessity. Just never have bitten the bullet, so to speak...
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

Vise for working on'm rest for bench shooting'm.I find the adjusment easier off the rest than sand bags.I've only got a mid expensive one from basspro but can shoot a 5 shot group that I can pretty much cover with a twoonie, with my 300 wbymag at 100 yards in the back yard.(a twoonie is our $2.00 coin about 1-3/16" dia.) I like knowing that the gun is shootin where the crosshairs is pointin.
    Last edited by HARV; 08-06-2008 at 04:25 PM. Reason: sand's too heavy to cart around
    We gave you Corn,you gave us clap,bad trade.

A vise will produce an unnatural hold on a gun. A sandbag is much for like rest the gun in your hand.

Try to be sure to simulate the conditions you will be hunting in or just get a gun that is so big that a the conditions don't matter.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

Quote Originally Posted by rp View Post
    or just get a gun that is so big that a the conditions don't matter.

That is solid advice.

Yeah, sandbags have always done well enough, but there's just that tweaking with 'em that get a bit frustrating at times.

Don't know if the Caldwell Lead Sleds and the like will do anything to alleviate that. Probably not.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....