Thread: Ok, we have dove field planted. Now what

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm going to say something that goes against everything you ever hear or read. In the last ten years, I see more doves in thick stuff like a quail. I've prepared fields with clean dirt, plenty of seed, burned, etc. , and most of the birds are still in the unmowed areas, especially if there are tall seed bearing plants with some room to walk around underneath. Once again, like a quail. And I'm on multiple tracts of land per week.

I can only assume that the explosion in raptor populations has caused this change in behavior. I'm not suggesting you manage your field based on just what I've seen, but it's been a consistent observation of mine for some years.

Quote Originally Posted by smallwater View Post
    I'm going to say something that goes against everything you ever hear or read. In the last ten years, I see more doves in thick stuff like a quail. I've prepared fields with clean dirt, plenty of seed, burned, etc. , and most of the birds are still in the unmowed areas, especially if there are tall seed bearing plants with some room to walk around underneath. Once again, like a quail. And I'm on multiple tracts of land per week.

I can only assume that the explosion in raptor populations has caused this change in behavior. I'm not suggesting you manage your field based on just what I've seen, but it's been a consistent observation of mine for some years.
    Yep. We used to silage chop and blow it onto fresh plowed dirt, now 90% of the time we leave enough rows standing where they can feed in it. Clean is not what it used to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.