Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rifle Cleaning Help

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    If you use a bore snake wrap it around your neck and choke yourself
    LOL - yeah, the only thing I like about it what I mentioned - a quick pull through while on the line when I don't have time to get a rod, and all I'm doing is clearing some crap out of the barrel and trying to knock some crap out of a gas port. Other than that... no. Nothing replaces a rod for cleaning.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Some good stuff here:

http://www.accurateshooter.com/techn...eaning-debate/

I like the input from Chris Dictor (Pac-Nor Barrels) and Krieger. But there is a lot of info in there, and much of it contradictory as they span the list of folks who all have experience.

The Wipe Out stuff they discuss is essentially what I use:
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...nt-8-oz-liquid

There are a LOT more options now than when I started doing this stuff heavily. I will try anything once, and am open to changing my process. I started using Kroil back in the 90's as my primary basic cleaner and penetrating lube - we were fortunate in that manufacturers would provide us samples of stuff.

Now, who wants to talk about "Ed's Red"?
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

OK, here is what I have used with good success. First a boresnake is good for knocking out mud or a dirt dobbler nest or as SR said, cleaning a gas port. That is about all. Cleaning a rifle barrel properly is not like cleaning a shotgun barrel. You have to do real deep cleaning to do any good, not just knocking out some of the powder fouling or copper fouling. Some may disagree, but I consider a boresnake for a rifle, pretty much a gimminck. Not bad for a shotgun, but not really for serious cleaning of a rifle barrel. You will need the following things:
    (1) A decent bore guide that keeps the rods centered and the throat/neck protected. The Lucas is probably the best and it is made in Lexington, and is about the same price as a decent one.
    (2) A quality one piece coated rod. NEVER use a jointed rod or you can really bugger up the rifling.
    (3) Good solvent. Forget Hoppes. Lots of good stuff out there though like Shooters Choice and Butches Bore Shine. I prefer Patchout. It works the best that I have seen, but takes longer to work. It is also not supposed to be as hazardous as most of the other stuff.

This may come as a surprise to some, but the real enemy is not copper fouling. It is carbon fouling and it builds up slowly. It is also as hard as Superman's elbow. Patchout really does a good job of softening it up, so you can brush it out. I let my barrels soak overnight. Never any harm done. Lot's of cleaners will remove the copper, but carbon is an entirely different matter. Just like tarter on your teeth, it is far better to keep it from building up than to try to remove it once it is ironed on thick. A bore scope is an enlighting tool to tell you how well you are cleaning your barrels.

For the sake of keeping the carbon down, I would not let a rifle go more than about 25-30 rounds in between cleanings. Ronnie Long told me to never let a barrel go more than 20 rounds between cleaning. He is a rifle builder and a benchrest shooter and has the credentials, so I listen (sometime anyway ) Some rifles will tolerate much longer intervals and still shoot well, but remember, if you let it go very long, you will be cooking on carbon. I have a .308 that shoots pretty good, but accuracy starts to fall off badly after about 20 rounds.......always has, probably always will. First time I saw this, I thought something was seriously wrong with my scope or mounts. It was that bad. When I cleaned it, it went back to shooting nice little groups. Problem solved......lesson learned.....Ronnie was right. None of my other rifles are near as finicky about needing cleaning.
    Last edited by CWPINST; 10-19-2017 at 09:58 PM.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

How , if we shouldn't go more tan 20 rounds, do the F class guys shoot damn near perfect scores at 1Km without cleaning for an entire match of 50-60 rounds? Same for PRS. We might shoot 200 rounds in a 2 day match and your last stage could have 1-2 MOA targets at 1100-1200 yards. I know premium barrels, like Kreiger and Bartlein don't foul as quickly, but something don't add up.

Dang, I just read SR’s article he posted & My head hurts..... Great info, but dang at the contradiction.

Basically from what I read, it depends on what you’re competing in and what works best for you. Some say no bronze brushes only nylon and some say bronze is fine. Some say don’t drag the brush in reverse and some say do it. One thing that is standard; you need a quality bore guide and rod, and be careful not to damage your crown. Also I read somewhere in it to make sure not to shoot through a wet/lubed barrel, make sure to dry it before.

I just ordered a Borescope. I’m curious to start monitoring the process of cleaning of my barrels.
    Last edited by Tha Dick; 10-21-2017 at 10:48 AM.

I guess to the OP, posts #3 #4 will sum it up. If you get into shooting a lot, then you can try different solvents and methods and monitor accuracy as needed.

after the season or before if I have re-sighted scope or shot it during the off season, I dip the brass brush thingy right in the bottle of solvent and then douche the barrel a few passes with it.
    I spray and clean the chamber / bolt lug area a little extra. I then run a few patches thru it until they start coming out clean. I then run a patch with a light coat of oil on it thru the barrel and I usually end up with a mirror like finish inside the barrel. I then clean the bolt and inside the gun receiver pretty well with an old toothbrush / solvent then wipe with oil.

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    How , if we shouldn't go more tan 20 rounds, do the F class guys shoot damn near perfect scores at 1Km without cleaning for an entire match of 50-60 rounds? Same for PRS. We might shoot 200 rounds in a 2 day match and your last stage could have 1-2 MOA targets at 1100-1200 yards. I know premium barrels, like Kreiger and Bartlein don't foul as quickly, but something don't add up.
    Just telling you Ronnie's advice from the world of benchrest shooting....... As was said, cleaning every 20 rounds "MAY" not be necessary for the best accuracy in the short run, (although it is in my particular .308) but it is beneficial for preventing carbon from building up. Over the long haul, carbon is the big enemy in regards to fouling, but it might take quite a few hundred rounds.....or less, to start affecting accuracy. Hot loads from overbore calibers typically accelerate the buildup as well as throat erosion. A bore scope will tell the tale. I have a 30x47 in a #5 Kreiger that carboned up pretty badly after a few hundred rounds. Confirmed by a borescope. Took a lot of elbow grease and Butches Bore Shine to get it out. This was before I started using Patchout.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    after the season or before if I have re-sighted scope or shot it during the off season, I dip the brass brush thingy right in the bottle of solvent and then douche the barrel a few passes with it.
    I spray and clean the chamber / bolt lug area a little extra. I then run a few patches thru it until they start coming out clean. I then run a patch with a light coat of oil on it thru the barrel and I usually end up with a mirror like finish inside the barrel. I then clean the bolt and inside the gun receiver pretty well with an old toothbrush / solvent then wipe with oil.
    Take a look through a borescope. You might be surprised at what you see.

Spank my ass!! I ain't never cleaned a rifle. Pfffff............
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.