Thread: Boat TellTale

Default Boat TellTale

Why don't they make a cover for the telltale on a boat that is spring loaded and the water pressure forces it open and it closes when the water cuts off?

Or is this already on a feature offer d on some boats?

Just seems like it would solve the problem of them clogging up and then we wouldn't have to worry about unclogging them at inconvenient times (like I just finished doing st 530 in the morning)
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

What the hell is a telltale? That must be Greenwood lingo.
    cut\'em

I think he's referring to the pee hole on the motor so you know the water pump is working.

If mine sits along time, put a golf tee in hose.

Quote Originally Posted by Timsmith View Post
    Good idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup...been doing that a long time. I suggested that here years ago and then got criticized and was told I had no business owning a boat if I don't use it enough that I have to put a golf tee in the pisser to keep dirt doubers out of it.

The boat sees regular use, had no trouble pissing last weekend but was clogged this morning.
    The golf tee is a good idea, I am just surprised a boat manufacturer has not come up with a more permanent solution.
    It would be one less thing to worry about

You most likely sucked in a piece of trash that clogged it or over just enough to clog after running it last week, unless you k is it was a dirt robber. Keep a piece of 100 # mono in your boat. Used it many times.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

100lb mono is where its at.

I keep some weedeater string in my boat. Cleans it out fine
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

I know what to clean it out with, I've always got s piece of wire in the toolbox to use.

I was just curious as to why nobody has come up with a built-in fix to prevent it from happening all together

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    I know what to clean it out with, I've always got s piece of wire in the toolbox to use.

I was just curious as to why nobody has come up with a built-in fix to prevent it from happening all together
    If someone was to design a built in check valve. Dirtdobbers in a spring loaded valve would be worse than just running a wire to clear debris. Plus if the waterpump is on its last leg , may not have enough pressure to open to get you home.

cuz the manf fix would cost 100000x more than a piece of wire

If someone was to design a built in check valve. Dirtdobbers in a spring loaded valve would be worse than just running a wire to clear debris. Plus if the waterpump is on its last leg , may not have enough pressure to open to get you home.
    Agree with Tim.

It's a good idea, but dirt and grim or rust could cause the flap to stick and you could end with more problems than just dirt dobbers.

I agree that over-engineering is a problem. However, most of the water used to cool does not flow through the pee hole. That is simply there as a visual indicator. When I ran an outboard at the beach, the locals all told me to change my pee hole to a larger diameter hose to allow spartina grass, debris, etc. to flow through without clogging. This does not change the dirt dobber issue, it only serves to help with debris. But just know that if your pee hole is not flowing, it does not neccesarily mean that the waterpump is not cooling the engine. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie Glover View Post
    I agree that over-engineering is a problem. However, most of the water used to cool does not flow through the pee hole. That is simply there as a visual indicator. When I ran an outboard at the beach, the locals all told me to change my pee hole to a larger diameter hose to allow spartina grass, debris, etc. to flow through without clogging. This does not change the dirt dobber issue, it only serves to help with debris. But just know that if your pee hole is not flowing, it does not neccesarily mean that the waterpump is not cooling the engine. MG
    I too thought this same thing and continued on without the motor peeing one day down the ICW because I had a bad storm bearing down on me. Long story short I overheated the motor to the point where it melted wiring/hoses under the cowling and the next trip out it went kaboom. What you say may be true, but I'd tread lightly if your motor isn't squirting out of the telltale.

it sounds as if we are thinking of different solutions to the same problem.
    I was thinking something more along the lines of a spring-loaded cover like what you would see on a round pin trailer hitch. You could have it so that the water pressure forces it open and it has a latch that keeps it open and you can simply close it back when through. Or have it so that it doesn't latch and the water pressure holds it open and it shuts closed when the water pressure stops.

maybe I am trying to reinvent the wheel, I don't know. its not that big a deal one way or the other. I crank the boat at the house every time before I use it to check for things like this and cleaning it with a wire is easy enough but Saturday morning it just started me to thinking.