Thread: Multi purpose youth 20 gauge - learn me.

Default Multi purpose youth 20 gauge - learn me.

I am not much of a gun guy, so was hoping to get some guidance. Have a Remington sportsman 58 20 gauge that my 7 year old son shoots on occasion. The gun will only take 2 3/4 inch shells and also was told (not sure it is valid) to not shoot steel through this gun. I have a 7 year old and a 5 year old who will dove, turkey and duck hunt so beteeen the two whatever I go with will get a decent amount of use. Need a gun that will be good fit for a youth. The gun stores I go to have limited youth model inventory so will likely buy online. Suggestions?

Youth model Benelli M2 for the 7 yo. You can buy the full size stock as they get older. Yes it's expensive, but it will last them a lifetime.
    Last edited by britton40; 03-07-2017 at 07:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by britton40 View Post
    Youth model Benelli M2 for the 7 yo. You can buy the full size stock as they get older. Yes it's expensive, but it will last them a lifetime.
    Yep, if this is something you want to buy him that he'll never outgrow, take this advice.

PS - He can kill turkeys deader with this particular gun than any 12 gauge ever made.......
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

I have been very happy with the two youth 20s we have. We have a Mossberg and a Wetherby in the SA-08 and SA-20, I disremember which is which. Both are gas operated, and the kids can flat shoot them. We initially went the bantam weight pump mossberg route. Too light and thumped the youngest pretty good, set him back a year on his shooting. Neither are guns I consider to be forever, and one will soon be for sale, since the oldest is now 5'8".

Franchi 720, Weatherby SA-08, Remington 1187 are all good options for youth automatics. I'm a fan of gas operated for kids. The Weatherby and Remington are gas operated and will help with recoil and let them shoot lower recoil. Beretta would be the top pick for a gas gun. But they are hard to find in youth.

870 youth is a great option for a pump and can be had for much less. If the gun building turkey hunters haven't bought them all up.

I have two youth automatics, but I'm still not sure if I want to start my kids on them. I started shooting a pump. It was an honor when I got my first automatic. I'm always amazed at how many grown men can't shoot a pump.

As far as teaching them, just remember recoil recoil recoil. Too much recoil at an early age can develop bad habits for the rest of their lives.

This ^

I started both on a .22, then .410, then progressed to the 20. Much better success wing shooting with an IC and teaching them to pick their shots. My oldest shoots very well, but is pickier than I am on what he shoots at. The little one is a little more aggressive, but still doesn't burn up the shells I did coming up with my .410.

Listen to Slaya and others, start small. Unless you just have to get rid of the 20 to offset getting another gun, I'd keep it for him.

When he gets a few years older, the 20 ga you have should work fine, as far as recoil goes. You'll likely need to cut the stock down, because you won't be able to find a youth stock for a gun that old. Measure the yutes length of pull, then cut as needed. A good sharp blade on a chop saw is all ya need. It's easy to add length to the stock as he gets older and taller. I cut down the stock on my 16 a few weeks ago cause the LOP was way too long for me.

But like you said, I wouldn't advise shooting non-tox out of it, so duck hunting is out of the conversation. Those old guns were made for lead, cause that's all there was back then. The pressure of non-tox at the muzzle of a fixed choke gun is where the danger is. Modern non-tox loads can mushroom the choke or bulge the barrel.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 03-07-2017 at 10:24 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Bought my wife and daughter a weatherby sa-08. It has done everything we needed it to do

Agree on the Weatherby SA-08 compact and the Stoeger 3020 compact. Again, you can buy full size stocks later.

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    Yep, if this is something you want to buy him that he'll never outgrow, take this advice.

PS - He can kill turkeys deader with this particular gun than any 12 gauge ever made.......
    Duckman#1 hunts waterfowl with his m2 as do some others on this site as well.
    Last edited by britton40; 03-07-2017 at 11:41 AM.

Find a Beretta 391 youth 20 ga. You should be able to find them on the used gun market.

Light is not good for a youth shotgun as it will deliver much more recoil. You want a gun he can safely handle but not so light it causes too much recoil.

It's not just about cutting the stock down. There is a measurement between the grip area and the trigger. Smaller hands can't reach the trigger without moving the hand forward of the grip area.

Find low recoil shells. A 20 ga in 7/8 ounces at 1150 fps is plenty.

Start the boy off right and get him a lesson from a certified instructor.

Don't rush it. If he is having a hard time managing the gun, let him built up his muscles by mounting an UNLOADED gun before giving him live rounds.
    Last edited by Gander; 03-07-2017 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by britton40 View Post
    Duckman#1 hunts waterfowl with his m2 as do some others on this site as well.
    I killed the piss out of teal in Arkansas with my M2 20, while wearing my gold natty hat.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

If it's choked in IC then you can do a steel load thru it occasionally(I shoot a low brass steel target load in #6s at wood ducks in my old 1100 on a duck hunt or two a year) but if you really want to duck hunt with it then you can shoot bismuth thru it all day long. From everything I've read, steel usually only poses a problem in guns choked too tight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk