Thread: Mattamuskeet- Where has the grass gone

Default Mattamuskeet- Where has the grass gone

A brief glance at the article seems to smell of global warming regarding "rising waters".

My personal guess is "our" impact on the environment. How much development has happened in the watershed area that feeds Mattamuskeet? We are responsible for most of the destruction of our environment and I'm not talking global warming.

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Good read...
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

I don't think Mattamuskeet, or Phelps or Pungo for that matter, have an outlet. Water drains in but only leaves through evaporation. And, all three lakes are in the middle of vast amounts of agriculture. Without much thought or even reading the article, I'd guess fertilizer runoff and build-up in the lake(s).
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

The article addresses drainage.... Exits into pamlico via flag gates on culverts....
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

I sent this article to a buddy with the Columbia, SC office of USGS to see if he did any water quality testing on Mattamuskeet. His crew was supposed to go to Lake Mattamuskeet but the lake is too shallow to run their remote control submarine that takes water samples. His belief is fertilizers, chemicals, animal waste, from farming (row crops, hogs, chickens, etc) have created this problem on Mattamuskeet.

They surveyed along the Florida coast back in August, the algae blooms and pollution is absolutely horrible down there.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Is draining to dry it out a solution for these types of situations? On a smaller scale than skeet.. or would the chemicals just sit on the dirt forever? If its just algae and sediment affecting clarity?

My first thought is the chemicals that are creating this problem, are in the sediment so draining would remove the water but not the chemicals that are creating the problem.

"Non source point pollution" takes years and has a cumulative affect, in a nutshell "we" are poisoning our waterways. Like stated in the article, this will take years to undo.