Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Striper Rewards

SDL...Scott L? If that's you, I've been meaning to contact you about coordinating legislation for coastal populations and Santee system fish. I've heard you would be the best person within DNR to have a good perspective on both sides of the demarcation line. A couple of quick questions I have are 1) how do you know what numbers of fish exist in the system and 2) how do you know how much spawning activity is successful in the system? 3) How does lift passage affect the landlocked population, if at all? 4) Given the "year to year" nature of the spawning populations contribution to the total, wouldn't you prefer some kind of limited authority bill so annual adjustments could be made based on previous year's success. I'd love to push for some meaningful legislation, but would like to place my efforts behind sensible long term solutions and also protect self sustaining populations where possible. 10 fish limits in the ACE burns my ass everytime I breathe those words! Thanks again for the dialogue. With enough Q and A, we'll get the ball rolling. If you are Scott, I'd like to take you to lunch when you are at Ft. Johnson sometime.

Julian
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

SUMTER/ RIMINI DEPENDING UPON THE SEASONS

house bill 4746.
    JP111

Thanks again. With those answers, I think I owe an apology for my comments about the natural reproduction in the Santee system. I try to spread info that I get directly from your agency, but obviously misunderstood that piece of the puzzle. As far as the shock you would experience w/ limited authority, I know what you mean. However, we've got bad bills that aren't passing commitees now. I'd rather see a good bill get to commitee with a lot of angler support. Only then would the future start to brighten. There are precedents in other states and the saltwater guys have one drafted in SC. Even if we could find a rank rookie member to draft it, we would have a basis anglers to lobby their own representatives for support. Could you make a case for the genetic diversity provided by the wild population for broodstock? This is the hook I always hoped would get the support of the upper state striper clubs for the coastal populations. If coastal populations cease to exist, doesn't that pose a potential end to viable hatchery stocks long term? And finally, I'm guessing you're not Scott? PM me if you need the anonimity.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

Originally posted by SCDNR:
    Long term genetic diversity is at the core of our statewide striped bass program and affects every reservoir in the state that receives hatchery products. So, what goes on in Santee Cooper affects all the other systems.
    Well, with that said, every striped bass angler in SC should have reason to support legislation that would reduce pressure on Santee Cooper system fish along with coastal populations. Feel free to disagree if I'm stretching here.

Rubberhead