Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ernest F Hollings Refuge

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowman View Post
    Maybe he has a life, kids, wife, job, ect???
    Nah, it's that he lives in Beaufort and isn't as close as him location states.

I've got a life, a newborn, wife, and a job, and I know what's going on at the refuge in my backyard.

Just sayin.

It goes with anything in life.... it's what's important to you.

The Santee Cooper lakes are important to me.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

In case you missed this somehow

"The new Habitat Management Plan for ACE Basin NWR is being reviewed from April 1 until April 30. If you have any comments about the HMP, please send them to Larry Hartis at Larry_Hartis@fws.gov or mail them to Ernest F. Hillings ACE Basin NWR, 8875 Willtown Rd., Hollywood, SC 29449."

Quote Originally Posted by Strick9 View Post
    Giant Chordgrass doesn't completely choke out an impoundment that size overnight or in a year for that matter.. Pictures of Bear Island impoundments are showing the same thing as is Google Earth time frames. What was once open water is now choked densely with GC which is far better to deal with than Phrag. I sincerely hope those in charge will keep their promise and start deep flooding it soon.
    There's a plan in place for some deep flooding in the near future. The new guy on there now is on the ball and passionate about his job. But yes a lot did not get burned due to not getting water off this fall.

Eureka nobody is banging on your pops. Just the management before your pops. He has my full support.
    Genesis 9;2

Soooooo, you gonna just lurk on the thread or answer pawleydux?
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Bog-
    I'll pick Jehosse as the site for you to manage. What species are you managing for, and what would you do starting today for your management plan?

Quote Originally Posted by formerly bohica View Post
    Bog-
    I'll pick Jehosse as the site for you to manage. What species are you managing for, and what would you do starting today for your management plan?
    You're trying to imply that I have no experience managing saltmarsh or brackish impoundments, therefore have no right to question things when I see impoundments in disarray, am I right?

Jehossee was a forced sale to the extent the Maybanks wanted to recapture the "Whales Tail" impoundments in order to have larger hunts to help pay for the place. The Corps denied the permits and it was appealed all the way to US Supreme Court.

What is really telling about the story is if you look at all of the early ACE Basin Initiative literature there were 2 properties designated as priority one acquisitions and Jehossee was one of them. The Maybanks were fucked before they even applied for those permits.
    DILLIGAF

Quote Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
    Jehossee was a forced sale to the extent the Maybanks wanted to recapture the "Whales Tail" impoundments in order to have larger hunts to help pay for the place. The Corps denied the permits and it was appealed all the way to US Supreme Court.

What is really telling about the story is if you look at all of the early ACE Basin Initiative literature there were 2 properties designated as priority one acquisitions and Jehossee was one of them. The Maybanks were fucked before they even applied for those permits.
    Yep.

No. I just want to know what your management strategy for brackish/ saline environments is?