Thread: nebraska

any of yall duck hunted in nebraska before? if so, how was it? thinking about possibly trying to go out there over thanksgiving.
    "JUST BECAUSE I AM NOT A GOOD SPELLER DOESN'T MEAN MY JEAN POLL IS GONNA BE BAD."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    There's evidence coming out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    I dabble in a lot of things, but don't get too technical with any of them.

went to the college worlds series in omaha. we drove the 20 hours to get there, long ride no doubt, but not terrible. passed a small city that had a mallard as their water tower with wings as windmills. it was pretty cool. they said the duck hunting was great there. when we leaving?
    Bay Creek Kennels- Hartsville, SC
    Owner/Trainer- Rhett Riddle
    Retriever & Obedience Training
    Cell-803-608-2252

Home of:
    HRCH Ace's Costa Del Mar MH. "Costa" 500 Point Club
    GRHRCH Costa's Signature Blend MH "Crown" 500 Point Club
    3x GRHRCH Crown of Ace's in Costa's Shadow MH QAA “Craig”

well one would think they would have ducks there then if they got a frickin duck on their water tower sure wont see many of those in sc.
    man if i can go itll have to be over the thanksgiving break of college. i know itll be cold, i just dont know how cold. i probably havent experienced anything that cold.
    "JUST BECAUSE I AM NOT A GOOD SPELLER DOESN'T MEAN MY JEAN POLL IS GONNA BE BAD."

Went. Killed ducks. Got skunked one day...too much ice. Thanksgiving you should likely focus on reservoirs...just depends on the weather. The marshes may be frozen up. Or get a guide. The competition on public can be pretty intense on the weekends.
    If you don't know me how could I offend you?

If you are not a member of Delta or DU then you are living on duck welfare.

I hunted with a guide out there a couple years ago. This was same guide was featured on that Benelli’s American Hunter show with the now deceased Dave Gruber. Everything but the hunting was great. We only had 1 decent hunt out of the 3 days we hunted. We spent the entire last day looking at blue skies and never fired a shot. The weather was not right for us. We hunted during thanksgiving as well. The guide thought it would be better to book a hunt next time closer to the end of December, but we never went back. If you hit it right it should be good, but that is a big if.

gander-how was the weather while you were there? was it cold? how cold? towards the end of december would the ducks have not moved on?

The weather was in the low 60’s during the day and got down to the upper 20’s at night. The last day it was 16 in the morning, but that was the day we didn’t pull the trigger, nothing was flying. The other group that was there hunted the previous year the week after Christmas and they killed limits each day. They said it was in the single digits at night and low 30’s during the day. We hunted the north Platte river. The guide tells us the river normally stays open all winter. It isn’t until they get below zero that is starts to freeze. No matter, he had a some very night pit blinds in harvested corn fields that he hunts geese, even if it does freeze. If I recall correctly, he said the river begins to freeze south of him first due to there being less water south of him.

thanks gander. thats what i wanted to know [img]graemlins/thumb2.gif[/img]