Thread: Washington

Wow. Just got back last night from a work trip to Washington state that included two days of hunting. We were supposed to hunt Thursday afternoon and have duck and goose hunts each day Friday and Saturday. We got into town later than expected Thursday, so that turned into a scouting day. The guys I was with have a lease, so we checked that out to find all of the ponds "punched". Friday promised to be a hell of a good hunt.

When we got to the ponds, we were welcomed with a thick fog that produced a few fat northern mallards at first light. Over the course of what turned out to be an all day sit, we scratched out 22 ducks with 4 guns. Mixed bag of mallards, widgeon, pintail and woodies. The weather changed considerably no less than 4 times throughout the day - from clear and mild to cool and foggy to cool and windy. This was their very first hunt on this particular hole, as it was created just this year. They are in the first year of this lease as they used to control the adjacent property until it was bought by another group. Water control is their primary concern right now, with planting of corn planned for this off-season.

This was NOT the hunt the guys were hoping for and they spent a lot of their time apologizing, saying that it was a 2.5 outta 10 kind of day. I'll take the invitation for a return trip as soon as I can make it work. They are used to hunts that would be exceptional on our scale. Limits are the rule. Again, it goes to show that you have to be where the ducks want to be.

We got a call late Friday afternoon that a particular alfalfa field had been holding 400 geese for two days and we should hunt that Sat. morning. They have killed over 100 geese from this same blind already this year. After hooking up the decoy trailer, we got to the field, set up, and watched geese go from the grain fields to the water all day long. Again, it was a tough day and we managed 3 geese on 4 guns. The only 3 that came into the decoys died. We had two groups that worked and worked, but wouldn't finish. Our host was getting calls that the geese were working like this for everybody in the area.

These guys live for this stuff. They've grown up in the area and hunted like this their entire lives. I'll definitely get back there and try it as soon as possible. Good times in the blind with friends is like no other.

A few pics...
    The hole

Strap at mid day

My buddy with his band
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

Lucky Bastard! When you go back try to get them to take you out for a Harlequin!
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

Good hunt B.I bet you wish you were the one cheesing & holding that jewelry!
    If it aint got 8 toes & a green head,it aint a duck.

Nice job. WA State is a sleeper.

Going there to Duck hunt has become my favorite destination.

I will be there in Dec for Sea Ducks and Puddlers. Then a few days in Jan for Mallards and Geese in the Tri Cities
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Nitro, you going after a Harlequin?
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

Great story and pics! Thanks for posting that!! [img]graemlins/thumb2.gif[/img]

nice, what part of the state?
    Quote Originally Posted by trentsmith View Post
    Honestly I don't remember why I don't like you but I do remember that I don't like you.

Originally posted by squatty420:
    Nitro, you going after a Harlequin?
    You mean another Harlequin??

Yes, among others.It's not a difficult bird to get.We have a great contact for the Sea Ducks. It is a great hunt.

My target bird this year is the Pacific Brant.

The Puddlers are on our lease off the Columbia River. We also hunt Divers on the Columbia and have had great success on Cans, Redheads, Common Mergansers, Buffies, Scaup, etc,etc.

WA State is one hell of a place for a Waterfowler.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

DB68, I was just glad somebody in our group got one. It made what was otherwise a tough day that much more enjoyable.

Sprigdog, we were up around the Moses Lake area.

Small world Simple Man. Our lease ponds are not far from ML in Quincy. In December the Mallards should be there in big numbers.

We hunt the Columbia near George and also above Wenatchee in Lake Entiat.

Pretty unique ecosystem isn't it??

Thanks for sharing your trip.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Everybody said we were about a week away from having hellacious hunting. They hunted again yesterday morning, but I haven't heard how they did.

As far as the ecosystem goes, I learned a ton about the area and how the Grand Coulee dam is the start of it all. That was my first time there, but definitely won't be my last.

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Good stuff SM!!!
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

E. washington can be magical, i've hunted potholes resevoir a few times, and a few chukar hunts in that area, but not extremely familiar.
    my taxidermist hails from Dayton.

I actually come from the area at the mouth of the Columbia in Astoria, Or. just across the river from washington. yep, sleeper states for sure..shhhhh

i did see a couple concerts in George..at least thats what i was told
    Quote Originally Posted by trentsmith View Post
    Honestly I don't remember why I don't like you but I do remember that I don't like you.

Good for you Simple Mon!
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

Nice work SM! Thanks for posting!

Very nice simple. That looked like a helluva a good time. Thanks for sharing.

Well when ya'll head back that way in another month or so you'll get to visit the brand new Cabelas that just opened up in Quincy. I missed the grand opening 2 weeks ago by about 3 days!

I was hoping to stock up on cheap steel shot so I wouldn't have to pay these outlandish Alaska prices for it. Xpert steel sells for $17 a box here in Cordova!
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL