Thread: NW Alabama hunting

Has anyone ever hunted up there. I will be there a few days before Christmas and am looking for something to kill. Any ideas?

expect gadwall to be in your bag.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Around Guntersville can be productive. It is mostly open water hunting, so a bluebird day can be VERY frustrating.

Scottsboro (Jackson County) also has a couple of WMA's that will hold ducks of the weather is right.

And as said above, I hope you like Gadwall.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

The Tn river around Decatur is good. Big water hunting and like has been said, gadwalls are your filler. If you hit the flats off of the main river channel, watch out for stump fields. I haven't hunted up there since college but killed blacks, bigofatassgreenhead ducks, gadwalls, occasional woodies and there are or were some cans up there as well.

Thanks guys. Any ideas on a guide or anything. I will be alone, with no one that hunts nor has a boat.

I dont know of any guides but you could call

Big Daddy's Outdoors
    52680 US Hwy 72
    Bridgeport, AL 35740-6590
    (256) 495-9225

It is about the only sporting goods store in the area. They may be able to point you in the right direction. I know they have all the WMA permits and things like that so they may can point you to a guide.

Good Luck.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud