Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .17 HMR or .22 WSM?

Quote Originally Posted by BrowningGold View Post
    That's not mine, I was quoting Palmetto Bug, it's his gun
    Weaver Grand Slam 6-20x40 I think. I'm very pleased with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBallin View Post
    I shoot the .22 mag and absolutely love it. Very accurate, fun, and by comparison, the same cost as the .17 for the most part. I mail order ammo for me and a buddy with a .17 and generally the same ammo for each is the same $$$. The friend of mine i shoot that uses the .17 which is little louder, does seem a more accurate. I can pretty consistently group 5 in a quarter at 100yds, he can put em in a nickel, with no wind at all maybe a dime or less. His likes the Hornady ballistic tips very noticeably the best and mine performs very similarly regardless of the ammo brand (it does matter hp/bt/or lrn in terms of elevation) The .22 seems more robust because of the lighter bullet in the .17 being drawn so easily by wind but I tell ya, on a flat calm, bluebird day that .17 will flat out do work...5 bullets in 3 overlapping holes kinda work.

Well damn. This doesn't make the decision easier. May have to buy both.

I have the 22 mag so I'm partial to it but wouldn't hesitate to get the 17 if I was starting all over. I do have the little single action revolver that has the magnum cylinder and I use it to shoot coyotes when I trap just cause That's about the only action it gets. I have the savage 93 btw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My dad and grandfather bought matching Winchester model 275's in Walterboro back in the early 60's. Ordered them from Brown Hardware I believe. They were the first .22 mags to show up around Walterboro.

For tree rats, the .22 mag is a bit too stiff to me. Tends to do a little too much damage if you plan to eat them. The .17 is a better choice to me.

For a walkin around gun, I grab my granddads ol' .22 mag every time. Never know when you'll run up on a bobcat, stray dog, yote, or hog. The .22 mag just has more punch than the .17. I've seen a pile of deer my dad and granddad killed using the Winchester 40grn hollowpoints. NOT something I'd do, but none the less, they've killed plenty with them. I've killed 2 bobcats and had pass thrus in the chest with the .22 mag both times.

I've got both. Marlin bolt 17 HMR and 22 WMR. Like them both. Havnt shot the marlin 17 in over a year. The 22WMR is my go to. I've got a Timney trigger in it with a Bushnell 3200 3-9x40. Pretty sweet rifle.

I bought the savage A7 17 HMR semi auto back in May and is a neat little gun. I started a thread on it in the guns/ammo forum if you want to see it and some groups.

Anyone have a Ruger American in either caliber? They look pretty slick.

Quote Originally Posted by billyjack View Post
    Anyone have a Ruger American in either caliber? They look pretty slick.
    Ive heard good things about em
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

I have the ruger American in 22lr. Got if to use with my suppressor. I like it a lot. Only have iron sights on it but hope to change that in the near future. I wouldn't mind one in 22 mag but my savage is just as nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a Marlin 25MN in 22 WMR years ago that was lights-out accurate. I'm toying with another higher-powered rimfire, and will have to make the same decision as you. I'd be interested in getting a gently used Ruger 77/22 or 77/17 and having Clark Customs do their magic on it.

They are getting my current 77/22 (22 LR) for the work here shortly, so I can have a suitable partner to my suppressor.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

17hmr isn't the only choice now. If you want even more umph, there's the 17wsm rimfire.

Went with the Ruger American in .22 mag, mainly because that's what they had at the store this afternoon and I had a few boxes of .22 mag in the closet. Put about 30 rounds through it shooting clay targets. Nice little rifle. Solid, stock is plastic but nice and the barrel is apparently floated. Seems fairly accurate but I didn't take time to figure out the sight picture on the irons or hit any paper with it. May pick up a .17 in a few weeks as well once I play with this one awhile.

You can get the 30 grainers in the 22wmr at 2200 fps versus 17hmr at 17 grains at 2550..

I love the 22wmr and ain't about to talk about all the shit it has killed.
    Genesis 9;2

Anybody shot the .17 wsm?

There is an article in this months American Rifleman about the 17 and Savages new gun for it.

The article talks about the production of 22. 22 mag, various 17 and so on. It talks about how and why production by various manufacturers has not included the 17 caliber in many guns such as the Remington 597 or the Ruger 10/22 and why it works in the new Savage.

There is not much talk written in the article comparing all the different loads but it may help you decide if you have your mind set on a particular gun.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.