Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Duck Commander

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] He said rhetoric. Uuuhuhhh huuuhh huuuhhh, uuuhh huuuhh huuhhh. Wheres that damn Beavis and Butthead smiley when you really need it.

Comon Toofer, let me have fun with em...comon puuleeese.

Tell you what, if everyone left snakes alone WITH THE ONE EXCEPTION of when they're children are around then I suppose there really wouldn't be a problem would there. But we all know thats not the lay of the land. What does it matter anyway? Its just one opinion in a sea of opinions and apparently nobody except you and the mastodon give a shit anyway.

I think the disregard for snakes is symptomatic of the cavalier attitude that many, if not most, young people have today regarding the ENTIRE natural world.

I'm not some leftist environmental crusader but I truley believe that in order to become a sportsman and a conservationist, you've got to walk the walk. Otherwise, a person might as well resign himself to the reality that the wild is just not a priority and that he is not a conservationist.

I've got a crew clearing 60 acres right now....just met with one of the track hoe operators and he told me they had killed 21 snakes in the last 2 weeks....incl. 11 out of one gum pond they are mucking out. Those were just the ones they saw. He said all of them were cottonmouths but I'm inclined to believe many were red belly water snakes and other non-venomous no shoulders.

For the first time in 25+ years in the woods I got hit by a snake yesterday, No shit. While marking a new stand I stepped on a 2ft copperhead and he apparently tagged my ankle, I looked down thinking a stick had just flipped up on my leg, to my suprise I see this snake coiled up beside my foot, I slowly pulled away, picked up a stick and moved him. I did however play with him for a few minutes with the stick and I was shocked at how placid he was. He struck at the stick only when i put it in his face and then his bites were week at best. He was no match for the Russel snake boots, in fact he did not even leave a mark. I would usually pull my little 38 derringer out and send some rat shot, but because of FISHES pasionate argument at least one Snake got a free pass.
    It\'s better to burn out than to fade away.

good job HD, he tweren't hurtin nobody

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Uh excuse me but I must have missed something. Are snakes endangered now in SC? I obviously didn't get that memo.

They sure aren't endangered around here. I see black rat snakes and water snakes of all varieties almost daily here at my place. Do I kill'em? Naw, no need to.

But I have a dog and more importantly a grandson, a grandson of whom I am very fond. And like 2th's boys he ain't afraid of Satan himself. So when I see a poisonous snake here on my property I kill it. I've killed 3 copperheads since I have lived here (3 years), and I will kill any others I see.

I like snakes too, used to catch them and sell them to pet shops when it was legal to do it in SC. Played with snakes all my life, been bit too. And I'll go out of my way to avoid running over them on the roads, no matter the species.

But as much as I like snakes, and what they offer in killing rats and even God forbid one another, I like my grandson and care about his health much more. So as the old cliche' implies, I reck'n blood really is thicker than water.

Will I defend my position on killing poisonous snakes on my property? No! I don't have to defend it, I'll just keep killing the suckers.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

How did a topic about the Duck Commander turn into an argument on snakes? [img]graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Damn good question, DuckSlayer. I did see Phil kill a cottonmouth in one of his videos. I think it was #7, poor little thing was only trying to cross the trail he was on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Originally posted by Mergie Master:
    Uh excuse me but I must have missed something.
    Based on the last sentence of your post, you missed the WHOLE thing.

Originally posted by Mergie Master:
    Are snakes endangered now in SC?
    Explain the relevance of "endangered". I don't get it.