Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lookin' For 100' Tomorrow

I've got it. I tried it, but just not in a good spot. Got what I thought was 3D bottom imaging. Maybe that's just with my lake Bluechip. But I thought the unit was equipped with the saltwater topo maps, too. I didn't screw with it too much, as I didn't want to take away from my fishing time too much.

Quote Originally Posted by USMCsilver View Post
    I've got it. I tried it, but just not in a good spot. Got what I thought was 3D bottom imaging. Maybe that's just with my lake Bluechip. But I thought the unit was equipped with the saltwater topo maps, too. I didn't screw with it too much, as I didn't want to take away from my fishing time too much.
    Downscan and sidescan don't work very well out there. Water is rarely clear enough and the current can be strong. Use your sonar. Don't mark the bottom on your chart plotter as you read it passing on the sonar. Switch your active screen to the sonar, as you roll over the bottom, move the cursor over the bottom that interests you and mark a waypoint using the cursor on the sounder. This gives you and exact location, not one off the mark by 20'.

There's between 5 and 20' of relief on that ledge. Finding the grouper is the tough part. They stay in those ledges, you have to just about hit them in the head there at times.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I have downscan on my Lowrance and found it to work very well out there. Was I catching 30lb gags...no, but I could easily see fish down there.
    I take an PLB in the shower with me. Can't ever be too safe.

Whats it like to live w/o the Internet? Not bad, I get photos of your mom thought the mail....

"I'd like to know more about this. Someone give cottontop a bump of coke."
    Sportin' Woodies