Thread: Painting Decoys

I am needing to repaint some decoys. Any suggestions on the best kind of paint to use and where to get it from.

Here are a few suggestions:

Clean the decoys well - pressure wash and wire brush.

Prime - use an automotive bumper primer that primes/etches the plastic, available from auto parts store.

Paint - lots of options here, some of the best is FME (flat marine enamel) that comes in the colors you want (no color mixing req'd) from Lou Tisch at Lock Stock & Barrel in Michigan.

I paint all my old decs as coots. Very easy and you just as well buy new ones if they really need paint. You should see my herters magnum coot mallet cross.
    easy livin'

Don't skip the primer. The primer I use cost almost 3x as much as the paint, but it is worth it.
    Ducks Commander

Ditto on the Lock Stock & Barrel idea. Don't try and save a few bucks trying to match the right paint at lowes or home depot like I did a few years ago when I painted my decoys for the first time. I bought some paint from L,S & B and couldn’t believe what a difference it made. I applied the paint with an airbrush, which I also highly recommend.

PBR