Thread: Kennel question

Default Kennel question

I'm probably going to catch some flak for this but better safe than sorry. This is my first summer having a dog that rides in a crate in my truck bed instead of in the interior. So my question is, is it safe to ride your dog around in the crate in the summer? Do the crates (vari kennel) have enough air flow?
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

Yes it's safe. Keep your crate strapped down and the tailgate closed. Park in the shade if you stop. And buy a fan that you can strap on to the door for air flow. But you can always let him ride shotgun in the air conditioning too
    Bay Creek Kennels- Hartsville, SC
    Owner/Trainer- Rhett Riddle
    Retriever & Obedience Training
    Cell-803-608-2252

Home of:
    HRCH Ace's Costa Del Mar MH. "Costa" 500 Point Club
    GRHRCH Costa's Signature Blend MH "Crown" 500 Point Club
    3x GRHRCH Crown of Ace's in Costa's Shadow MH QAA “Craig”

Quote Originally Posted by HuntinCosta View Post
    Yes it's safe. Keep your crate strapped down and the tailgate closed. Park in the shade if you stop. And buy a fan that you can strap on to the door for air flow. But you can always let him ride shotgun in the air conditioning too
    Reminds me Rhett, I had a buddy go hunting with me a while back. He said my dog rides inside is that a problem? Lol
    Quote Originally Posted by BOG View Post
    Tip:
    Although it is natural for you and seems to be out of your hands, try to suppress your natural inclination towards dumbassedness and do some research of your own.I wish you luck.
    Tekton Game Calls
    http://tektongamecalls.com

Make sure the dog gets plenty of fresh water.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

I think common sense is a big part of your question , if it 100 + degrees then I would not keep the dog in the crate long . Look for shaded areas to park , fans and plenty of water . If it's to hot just leave the dog at home , better to be safe than sorry
    SHR Charles Pullin Bak Da Hammer " Ruger "
    HR Double R Retrievers " Emma "

Quote Originally Posted by QuackerSmacker75 View Post
    I think common sense is a big part of your question , if it 100 + degrees then I would not keep the dog in the crate long . Look for shaded areas to park , fans and plenty of water . If it's to hot just leave the dog at home , better to be safe than sorry
    I agree. I guess my main question is if I'm going to be on the highway will he get enough airflow running through there? Should the crate be strapped to the tailgate or the toolbox for maximum airflow?
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

Mine always rides inside just keep a back seat cover on.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckin Bronco View Post
    I agree. I guess my main question is if I'm going to be on the highway will he get enough airflow running through there? Should the crate be strapped to the tailgate or the toolbox for maximum airflow?
    You will be fine , great question and best of luck with the pup
    SHR Charles Pullin Bak Da Hammer " Ruger "
    HR Double R Retrievers " Emma "

Quote Originally Posted by beanhunter View Post
    Reminds me Rhett, I had a buddy go hunting with me a while back. He said my dog rides inside is that a problem? Lol
    Hell no, none of my dogs have ever ridden in the back and we have made an ass of trips to AR etc. I do make them lay down on the rear floorboard as a safety measure, plus they sleep like a baby that way.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Quote Originally Posted by LabLuvR View Post
    Hell no, none of my dogs have ever ridden in the back and we have made an ass of trips to AR etc. I do make them lay down on the rear floorboard as a safety measure, plus they sleep like a baby that way.
    You make KRT ride in the back?

Of course, he talks too damn much.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Quote Originally Posted by LabLuvR View Post
    I've heard that he's embarrassed to be seen with you. He's not sleeping, he's hiding. Jk
    Molon Labe
    HRCH Coal's Sparkleberry Cache MH