Thread: Universal antifreeze

Default Universal antifreeze

Is it really universal? I've got to replace the upper hose on my 2005 5.7 hemi. The book says I need to use g05.

No. Always use what the engine calls for. Some are formulated for aluminum radiators, blocks, etc and some uses call for silicates and some don't. No way for a "universal coolant" to pull that off.

NO! Go directly to a dealer and buy your coolant from them.

I put universal in my Toyota. Not a lot, just topped off the fill tank. 3 months later my radiator looked like a spoiled chocolate milk shake inside. First thing the mechanic asked was if I had put universal coolant in it.

It was not a cheap fix. I will never take that chance again. Any fluid other than oil and washer fluid will come from a factory dealer.

That universal shit should be 100% illegal. You'd be better off pouring buttermilk into the radiator.
    Last edited by billyjack; 02-03-2015 at 09:44 PM.

That was sorta my feelings it's just hard to pay so much and only use 1/4 of the bottle.

Thanks for the heads up.

Not sure if it is just a Toyota thing, but 1/4 of a bottle of universal antifreeze wound up costing me about $800 if I remember correctly.

Whuh, that's rough....

DAMN... thanks for the info. I've always used the 'universal' variety to top off the radiators. Just didn't realize there were more than one kind.

Guess I'll go check what the radiators look like, although I don't recall adding any in a long time so maybe I'm OK.

Thanks for asking the question, CreekGeek.

Quote Originally Posted by HydroMan View Post
    No. Always use what the engine calls for. Some are formulated for aluminum radiators, blocks, etc and some uses call for silicates and some don't. No way for a "universal coolant" to pull that off.
    Quote Originally Posted by billyjack View Post
    NO! Go directly to a dealer and buy your coolant from them.

I put universal in my Toyota. Not a lot, just topped off the fill tank. 3 months later my radiator looked like a spoiled chocolate milk shake inside. First thing the mechanic asked was if I had put universal coolant in it.

It was not a cheap fix. I will never take that chance again. Any fluid other than oil and washer fluid will come from a factory dealer.

That universal shit should be 100% illegal. You'd be better off pouring buttermilk into the radiator.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Quote Originally Posted by CreekGeek View Post
    Whuh, that's rough....
    Yeah, but I was pretty sure it was oil and that I had a blown head gasket or something (or whatever it is that causes oil to leak into your coolant or vice-versa). In that context I was relatively happy with the news.

Quote Originally Posted by billyjack View Post
    Yeah, but I was pretty sure it was oil and that I had a blown head gasket or something (or whatever it is that causes oil to leak into your coolant or vice-versa). In that context I was relatively happy with the news.
    I got thinking about that and, yes, it had to have been a blown head gasket. I've never heard of any type of coolant doing anything like that on its own.

Please (anyone) feel free to 'school' me if I'm mistaken.
    ~ George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    I got thinking about that and, yes, it had to have been a blown head gasket. I've never heard of any type of coolant doing anything like that on its own.

Please (anyone) feel free to 'school' me if I'm mistaken.
    Universal coolant is like the measles vaccine.

Or so 2fer tells me.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post
    Universal coolant is like the measles vaccine.

Or so 2fer tells me.
    Well, if the coolant is produced for certification with false numbers such that it wouldn't really cool the way it's sold as, the manufacturer belongs in jail for fraud. The same goes for the vaccine producers... along with doctors and dentists who lie to their patients. Maybe 2'fer can tell you about that too. Who knows???
    ~ George Washington

2th is an asshole.

I try not to listen to him.

I try not to listen to crazy people either, but that's a whole 'nother subject.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

yeah don't use it. Also do not mix long life antifreeze which is usually red or pink in color with standard antifreeze which is green or yellow in color.