Thread: Yamaha tilt/trim

Default Yamaha tilt/trim

Motor went up, won't come down. Tilt motor runs but isn't retracting cylinder. Sounded like it was gurgling when it went up. Low on fluid? I need this fixed yesterday.

Yep, low on fluid

Working on it now. It's moving but still gurgling. Cycling it a gazillion times to bleed the air from the fluid. By the way, I asked for a price on the seal kits for the cylinders. They told me Yamaha doesn't sell the o-ring that's inside the cap, only the dust seal and o-ring on the outside. You have to buy the cap assembly at $190/piece. WTF??? I believe I could find one at work, but it's gonna have to be pouring fluid out before I try it.

In the end.....the cap assembly will solve the problem for good. I went the seal gasket and O ring route once upon a time.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Don't run your motor up and down if it gurgles fluid. You creat a bunch of bubbles that give you a false full reading. Take a screwdriver and manually turn the bypass screw and lift the motor up and down manually moving the trim rod and continue to top off fluid. I rebuilt my trim cylinder with a seal kit last summer with parts from boats.net , you may want to see if they have your seals.

Quote Originally Posted by Gone South View Post
    Don't run your motor up and down if it gurgles fluid. You creat a bunch of bubbles that give you a false full reading. Take a screwdriver and manually turn the bypass screw and lift the motor up and down manually moving the trim rod and continue to top off fluid. I rebuilt my trim cylinder with a seal kit last summer with parts from boats.net , you may want to see if they have your seals.
    Was gonna do just that tomorrow. Ran out of light today. Thought about boats.net, too. Thanks, guys.