Thread: vanes or feathers

ive always shot feathers and was thinking about switchin to vanes. just wondering what yall think about vanes
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

they will shoot a lot like feathers. dont change.

i remember taking an old recurve into jeffrey's and mr owen picked it up and looked at it. it was one of his old bows he made in the 80s. he took a bunch of mismatched arrows out of the tub in there and walked outside with me and shot them all from varying distances into the bulls-eye and said "damn nice bow I made." i asked him about the missing vanes, varying lengths of arrows, etc....and he said "it doesn't matter."
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I've been a fan of feathers for a long time. I recently switched to 2inch Blazer vanes. They seem to stabilize big c.o.c. heads better than my feathers. With the blazers, I can group my bheads with my field points out to 40 yards. I fletch them with my helical clamp with as much right offset as it will allow.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    RY-you are a killer. plain and simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Rebel Yell has killed more shit than small pox!
    Stripa Swipa > Ron Jeremy

the only reason i wanna switch is im a poor college kid and im tryin to save a buck anyway possible...i really like feathers, vanes are just cheaper
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

I've used both and very much prefer vanes. Vanes are waterproof, more durable, and don't make noise when brushed against stuff in the stand.

Feathers are faster at short distances but at longer distances, the vanes maintain their speed better.

I use as much helical as possible too. When I switched from slightly offset vanes to helical, my groups tightened considerably but the arrows were slightly noisier.

On the subject of fletching, I am thinking about fletching a couple shafts with some kind of absorbant material to use as scent bombs that I can place from the stand without leaving a human scent trail.

I like quick spin vanes for performance and the reasons bug stated above

I second Blazers.

2 degree offset. Got Flo. Yellows and White Blazers on the new GT Expeditions arrows today.

They fly like little missles.

you won't go back.

Blazers will do the job. Hard to believe but try them and they will fly.
    Low country redneck who moved north

If I was still shooting a compound I'd be using blazers too.