View Poll Results: Do you support this bill?

Voters
164. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

70 42.68%
  • no

94 57.32%
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Turkey beak?

Shucks Duck Tape, I'm just torn on the date thing and venting a little. Thanks for your efforts.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    I have had enough of you idiots saying the general assembly needs to do something more important than wildlife bills. If it were not important you would not be debating proposals now would you?

With that said, knowing my passion for wildlife and 8 years of service, how many wildlife bills have become law where I was the primary sponsor?

You mad brah?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

I am fine with a uniform start date for the entire state. I don't care when it begins and ends. Just give everyone 6 weeks. 3 tags per person. After you kill three take a child or a friend that has not kill a bird. People from other states should get 1 tag and it should cost $150.00.

I have had enough of you idiots saying the general assembly needs to do something more important than wildlife bills. If it were not important you would not be debating proposals now would you?

With that said, knowing my passion for wildlife and 8 years of service, how many wildlife bills have become law where I was the primary sponsor?
    The general assembly needs to worry about fixing other things than wildlife issues..

I don't know, please inform us..
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

Quote Originally Posted by CofC Waterfowler View Post
    I am fine with a uniform start date for the entire state. I don't care when it begins and ends. Just give everyone 6 weeks. 3 tags per person. After you kill three take a child or a friend that has not kill a bird. People from other states should get 1 tag and it should cost $150.00.

I agree
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Folks who say that are opportunistic liberals. Always bitching and wanting something done till it affects them personally.

Don't tax me, brah! And figure out ways to be less intrusive and you and I are good.

Quote Originally Posted by Spur hunter View Post
    I don't agree. That graph shows incubation peaking at April 10th. I'd think you back that up 10 to 12 days to show the peak breeding. A hen won't start incubation till she pretty much gets a clutch of eggs layed, sort of a gradual thing and a little longer each day till she's on it full time except to eat/drink.
    You say you don't agree, then say you do agree that peak breeding is generally around the first of April, backing up 10-12 days from April 10th.

If your argument is not to interrupt breeding, wouldn't you be pushing to move the date past April 1st.
    Founding Member of the Short Mo' Sea Pro Posse

Fuck Purdue

Quote Originally Posted by Smilee View Post
    Let the DNR (biologist etc) set the hunting season and the politicians get busy with other more important things.
    I used to beat this drum.

But, if you talk to enough biologists, they will refuse to comment on some things. Why will they refuse to comment?

Because their thoughts, education, and common fucking sense tells them one thing, but the ones holding the purse strings and influence over their jobs want a different outcome....so they sign on what the board or the GA wants to happen, and continue on with their career at SCDNR.

It is maddening to see other state's Natural Resource Departments with their own budget, and own equal powers in the cabinet with other state agencies...and then ours, which started out as a Carpet Bagging Yankee's lackey and is perpetuating that legacy.

After running in circles for years, and beating that drum....I am letting them have it. Fuck it up best you can, ya'll are doing a terrific job of it so far.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

What if they replace the 4th archery only tag with a tag for 25 more blue cats that year?

Fuck Purdue

Quote Originally Posted by benman View Post
    What if they replace the 4th archery only tag with a tag for 25 more blue cats that year?

While that is pretty funny, the sad thing is, from what I have seen...not entirely out of the realm of possibilities.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

FWIW, by the time I drive down and pick up Feets and pay for his sausage pinwheels for lunch, each turkey tag already costs me $150, so don't hate.

Fuck Purdue

Quote Originally Posted by benman View Post
    You say you don't agree, then say you do agree that peak breeding is generally around the first of April, backing up 10-12 days from April 10th.

If your argument is not to interrupt breeding, wouldn't you be pushing to move the date past April 1st.
    No. That line on the graph you refer to represents incubation. I'd say if hen can store sperm for two to three weeks to lay eggs on then incubation starts 2-3 weeks after breeding. I must have misread your dates earlier. I will say this, on years where we get an early green up I believe it happens sooner with peak gobbling (searching toms without hens) hits early like the second week. Years with later green up like it's shaping up this time around (which was the normal some years ago) will have a third week or later gobbling peak. Talking about peidmont area where I hunt.
    Last edited by Spur hunter; 03-25-2014 at 04:01 PM.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I used to beat this drum.

But, if you talk to enough biologists, they will refuse to comment on some things. Why will they refuse to comment?

Because their thoughts, education, and common fucking sense tells them one thing, but the ones holding the purse strings and influence over their jobs want a different outcome....so they sign on what the board or the GA wants to happen, and continue on with their career at SCDNR.

It is maddening to see other state's Natural Resource Departments with their own budget, and own equal powers in the cabinet with other state agencies...and then ours, which started out as a Carpet Bagging Yankee's lackey and is perpetuating that legacy.

After running in circles for years, and beating that drum....I am letting them have it. Fuck it up best you can, ya'll are doing a terrific job of it so far.
    I can't tell you how much I truly believe in this statement.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

It is easy to become cynical. What is worse, taxpayers pay two bodies to do the same thing and this is true with most state agencies.

Quote Originally Posted by Spur hunter View Post
    No. That line on the graph you refer to represents incubation. I'd say if hen can store sperm for two to three weeks to lay eggs on then incubation starts 2-3 weeks after breeding. I must have misread your dates earlier. I will say this, on years where we get an early green up I believe it happens sooner with peak gobbling (searching toms without hens) hits early like the second week. Years with later green up like it's shaping up this time around (which was the normal some years ago) will have a third week or later gobbling peak. Talking about peidmont area where I hunt.
    Breeding is controlled by photoperiod (day length) and is predictable based on latitude.

And I'm pretty well educated on politicians...especially South Carolina's. And I've got a pretty solid opinion on many of them.

But Jesus Christ guys, there's one that's willing to seek your input on issues regarding wildlife ON A WILDLIFE FORUM, and all you peckerheads do is spit on him and tell him what he needs to be doing fixing roads, the budget, etc.

Why don't you do something besides bitch and moan like children that didn't get an ice cream cone? Why not get directly involved with these issues instead of just spewing bullshit based babble?
    This site has plenty of good input from folks who know the ins and outs of SC's wildlife scene, and scducks.com gives us a free forum to interact and discuss improvement.
    But the nonsense, worthless dribble of some clutter any meaningful change debates.
    If you don't like the topic at hand, voice a decent mature opinion and be done with it.

It blows my mind sometimes that the vast majority of this site is over the age of 25.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

ZERO
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Quote Originally Posted by clembo3 View Post
    Not a bad idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I put a lot of thought into it!!
    867-5309

We've been hunting turkeys during breeding season for EVER ! What damn difference does it make now ? No one was bitching it a few years ago when SC had it's best season ever ! They will stiff sniff out and bang that ass if your hunting them or now ! This is one problem with "Biologist" they over think the obvious.
    80-20 Genaration

I didn't read all this horse shit~

Now I can shoot three with a shotgun and fatally wound ten with my bow that I never find~ great idea

Btw- my turkey's aren't ready yet, I'm glad the season isn't in
    Windows Down!