Thread: Leasing Land

Default Leasing Land

Looking at possibly leasing some land, and was wondering what the average rate per acre is. I have never leased any land before, so this is all new to me. The land is currently owned by a family friend, and they just listed it on the market. I'm hoping I can convince them to lease it to me, instead of selling it. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

It depends on where you're at.

In York/Rock Hill, it's a whole lot cheaper than the lowcountry.

Hunting rights are cheaper than farming rights.

At the end of the day, it's what the owner is willing to lease it for.... especially if they're planning to sell.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

It's in the York area. Damn good hunting land. It has mostly been used for cattle farming the last few decades. Unfortunately no pond to shoot ducks on. I used to hunt the property next to it and it always produced lots of deer, ducks, and turkey. It does have a good sized creek and a few potential pond sites. I'm going to see if I can contact the owner today. Thankfully they are good friends of the parents.

you can expect to pay well over $10/acre
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

When I was back in York County the land down 274 and out towards union was still going for $13-18/per acre depending on quarry, size and access.

Land here for the trifecta could cost you as much as $20/acre, or you could get it as cheap $8 and acre, location dictates that most of the time.

Good luck, leasing & tending land is a good feeling. I enjoy it.

Being a family friend matters and should be of value to them as well.

I reckon York County is influenced heavily from the Charlotte crowd, cause all of the above seems really high.
    Last edited by Ghetto; 03-20-2014 at 10:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghetto View Post
    Being a family friend matters and should be of value to them as well.

I reckon York County is influenced heavily from the Charlotte crowd, cause all of the above seems really high.
    I hope so. I honestly can't believe they have it on the market. It's been in there family for over 150 years. At one time it was a huge tract of land, but as the elders died off and kids and grandkids got their slices, some have sold out. The tract in question in 285 acres. There used to be an agreement from the old man that said it was to stay leased to a certain farmer, but it seems the youngins are getting greedy. I would love to get my hands on it, but $1.5M is a lot of damn money.

Quote Originally Posted by billbuster84 View Post
    I hope so. I honestly can't believe they have it on the market. It's been in there family for over 150 years. At one time it was a huge tract of land, but as the elders died off and kids and grandkids got their slices, some have sold out. The tract in question in 285 acres. There used to be an agreement from the old man that said it was to stay leased to a certain farmer, but it seems the youngins are getting greedy. I would love to get my hands on it, but $1.5M is a lot of damn money.
    You think $ 5,265/ acre is alot in York County.......shiiiit.

They want $3,720,00 for our lease, and its only 248 acres.....

Looks like a nice spot..good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    You think $ 5,265/ acre is alot in York County.......shiiiit.

They want $3,720,00 for our lease, and its only 248 acres.....
    He's right that's cheap land. If you want it you better get it now.

That's not bad per acre, still a lot to come up with regardless. Now if one of you deep pocket fellas want to make an investment....
    "Some high society lady says is your horse outside, no ma'am he's between my legs, but you're too fat to ride" Hank Jr

Paying right at $11/acre for a two hundred acre lease in the Whitmire area.
    In loving memory- KVP 1961-2009
    "Sooner or later the man who wins is the Man who thinks he Can!!!!!" Thanks Nor!!!

That's a dang good price. On average prime land is around 10k per acre in York County in Rock Hill. That's about 5k per acre.
    Non Supporting Member