Thread: Youth Baseball

Default Youth Baseball

1st practice tonight. Hopefully it will be cancelled 'cause it's just TOO DAMN COLD! Anyone else started in the rec leagues?

had "tryouts" Saturday, Practice is this friday for 2nd graders

tee ball was last saturday. We had a BIG time!

gonna be tough getting everyone where they need to be on time.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

1st practice for the younger boy tonight. We will keep it very brief, and focus on meeting this year's crew. 40's and windy=no fun for the boys and no fun for coaches, either.

Not rec ball, but my daughter is in middle school ball. They've been at it for a few weeks. Their first game is in 6 days.
    Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    "I'm a heterosexual Male.... wanna catch me cheating??? Bait me with pussy...."

We were supposed to have our first practice last night but of course, it was cancelled. We practice Friday and Saturday and have our first scrimmage the 15th. Heck we just had coaches meeting, evaluations, and the draft this past Saturday.
    All Men are self made, but, only the successful ones admit it!

2thDoc "because nothing matters till the games are played and clemson people have enjoyed success and know how to deal with it.

any other stupid questions?"......Classic!

CP#96743

Some age groups started but We got two more weeks before T-Ball. Hopefully it warms up a little. Makes for hectic nights…eat, practice, homework, bath, bed. Do it again the next day.

We start baseball for boys 7 and up Monday MArch 10th and Tball and softball March 11th. We do 2 weeks of fundamentals to start off. I started real practice this past Sunday with the kids I know are returning to my team.

Y'all have a blast with it!!

Sore subject 'round these parts.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

Quote Originally Posted by Simple Man View Post
    Y'all have a blast with it!!

Sore subject 'round these parts.

I'm for real if you are not getting answers still you need to contact your Mayor and City Council about it.

Our ball started weeks ago. Jamboree this Sat for coach pitch and tball.

Quote Originally Posted by mdb2 View Post
    Our ball started weeks ago. Jamboree this Sat for coach pitch and tball.

Do you like the coach pitch better than machine pitch?

my 5 y/o has had t-ball practice for the last 2 weeks. It has been a hoot!

Quote Originally Posted by Clemsonwoodie View Post
    Do you like the coach pitch better than machine pitch?
    That is a great question. Our league changed from machine to coach pitch. When that happened I voted to keep it machine pitch. I've seen too many coaches who couldn't throw a strike for anything. Your team is only as good as the coach throwing pitches... That being said, I once struck out 8 as the pitching coach in an all-star game. Not sure if they were nervous or me???My answer now is I'm not so sure. I have no experience with the swing arm deal so I can't speak on that.

Quote Originally Posted by mdb2 View Post
    That is a great question. Our league changed from machine to coach pitch. When that happened I voted to keep it machine pitch. I've seen too many coaches who couldn't throw a strike for anything. Your team is only as good as the coach throwing pitches... That being said, I once struck out 8 as the pitching coach in an all-star game. Not sure if they were nervous or me???My answer now is I'm not so sure. I have no experience with the swing arm deal so I can't speak on that.

We use a Jugs machine and I think it is more fair than Coach pitch. Every kid is seeing the same pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Clemsonwoodie View Post
    We use a Jugs machine and I think it is more fair than Coach pitch. Every kid is seeing the same pitch.
    That was my stance, also. The guy driving the move to live arm spent 13 years in the majors. He said they never, ever used a machine at that level. The move from cp to live arm kid pitch minors is always an adjustment for the little ones. His argument was that the adjustment is easier if they've been seeing live arm the whole way. After watching it for the last few years, I think I agree. Our majors won the Dixie state title last year so I guess the proof is in the pudding...

I quit pitching in CP last year after my youngest moved to minors at 8. I think arm pitch is the way to go. BUT, it depends on what you want your players to do, to be able to hit pitches or to hit a "perfect pitch" every time. One of the huge benefits to arm pitch is the ability to adjust your pitching speed tot he players ability to allow them to maximize their power ( if they have it). On the other hand, you can slow it down for weaker hitters. IMHO, the best advantage is the ability to pitch inside, outside, high or low based on where you want them to hit the ball.

Ironically, the last game I pitched was a 20 or so run margin of victory for a tournament championship. They should have called the game, but the powers at be had the award presentation scheduled for a particular time, so they had them keep playing.
    Honey...I'll do it after the season is over.

Originally Posted by cudexter
    I would argue that JP has the highest "quality" to "trash talk" post ratio on this site.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Air Raid
    ... Wait till 3 years from now! ...

Dislike pitching machine.

Part of the kids development is picking up the arm motion and ball leaving the pitchers hand.

I also think the machine puts it down the middle the majority of the time and the kids do not have to make a decision of whether it's gonna be a ball or a strike.

Travel teams in Gwood push the machine in little league because the greenwood abbeville little league is nothing more than practice for them and it leaves the kids trying to learn the game out in the cold
    Last edited by quack head 11; 03-04-2014 at 09:58 PM.
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

My son started tee ball last night. Got about a half hour in before the light rain turned into a downpour. If I heard them right, I think they will throw about five pitches to them, and if they don't hit then they go to the tee. Throws right, bats left.

I have a Louisville slugger spring arm type pitching machine that does pretty good. It definately won't put every ball down the pipe.
    That's the only way I can get velocity while keeping the softballs coming from a low angle. I do the arm swing then release the ball.
    It will get up into the low 40s
    Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    "I'm a heterosexual Male.... wanna catch me cheating??? Bait me with pussy...."

We start practice tonight. Opening day the 22nd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.