Thread: Propane Gun

Default Propane Gun

Anyone ever have any success with these?

http://www.suttonag.com/ZonGun.html

Or am I just pissing in the wind?

They work.

You can do the same with an air compressor and solenoid valve.

I think the propane guns are louder, though.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

From what I have heard they need to be set up so they fire at random intervals. Otherwise the birds or other pests get used to the repetition.

There used to be one set up on the old degaussing pier in Charleston Harbor to scare away gulls and pelicans. I was flounder gigging and poling the boat under it when that sombitch went off and I about jumped out of my skin.

I don't think it would work for deer at my place. There is so much regular gun fire around that they often don't even react to fairly close shots.

If you are talking deer , I have no idea... My experience on our place in WA for birds... - It's been an evolution on how we do bird control..

First method was shotguns - killing grackles and sparrows by the hundreds did wonders - until we got shut down by the State. (lots of fun and beneficial to one's wing shooting skills)

Second- used the propane cannons - with a 360 degree swing head that moved to four positions on the compass- every 15 seconds. Worked for a while- the birds hunger for Cherries overwhelmed the fear of the noise. Propane expenses went through the roof of course.

Third (and so far most cost effective and "environmentally friendly" ) We hire a Falconer from Utah - he brings Bird handlers from British Columbia in and they stay the season.. Flighting Hawks, Gyrfalcons and other Raptors over the orchard.

A few days of the mere presence of a Raptor has the pest birds leaving the area. It's expensive, but works.

The raptors stoop over the trees and the pests flee..

Our other option (financially impossible for us ) is to cover the entire block in a net.. One of our neighbors (who grows for Harry and David) has a system of netting over an entire section..........like 60 acres...He has no bird issues. We don't have that kind of capital..

Good luck.
    Last edited by nitro5x6's; 03-04-2014 at 10:35 AM.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

My hope is to use it some for both. I'd like to keep the deer at bay for a couple of weeks as the corn starts to come up, then use it to keep the blackbirds out of the rice after it heads out.

We shall see, I just ordered one, to experiment with. From what I've heard, changing up the intervals and locations is critical.

Thanks for the quick replies. Now if the tides would get a little lower and we could get the fields drained proper...
    Last edited by Lowcountry Boy; 03-04-2014 at 10:57 AM. Reason: grammar police

Just a little more insight- our cherry block is roughly 65 acres..

We had 12 cannons placed according the Rep's recommendation. After a few weeks, we were pizzing in the wind.

For deer - lead poisoning works the best. Our bird problems have been minor compared to the fence repair costs after this harsh winter- Elk will pull a fence down. Bears had some impact in October. They were dealt with as well.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.