Thread: Google Super-Speed Internet to 9 more Cities

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Default Google Super-Speed Internet to 9 more Cities

Google Explores Super-Speed Internet in 9 More Cities
    http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise...-fiber-cities/

A map showing current and possibly future locations for Google
    Fiber, the company’s super-high-speed internet service

Google may expand its ultra-high-speed internet service into several other major metropolitan areas, including Atlanta, Phoenix, San Jose, Portland, Salt Lake City, and San Antonio.

This morning, with a blog post, the company revealed that it’s considering the possibility of rolling its Google Fiber service into the regions surrounding these and four other larger American cities. The service is already up and running in Kansas City, Kansas, and it’s slated to move into Austin, Texas and Provo, Utah.

When the company first revealed its Google Fiber project in 2010, it described the service — which provides internet speeds that are about 100 times faster than today’s typical connections — as a mere experiment, a way of coaxing others towards faster speeds. But as Google moves to expand the service, it looks more and more like an effort to provide a very real alternative to internet connections from traditional communications giants such as Comcast, Verizon, and AT&T.

Today’s news is particularly welcome because it comes on the heels of Comcast’s agreement to purchase Time Warner Cable, a merger that would combine the country’s two largest cable internet providers. In many ways, the Comcast deal threatens the evolution of an unfettered internet here in the U.S., but Google Fiber could provide a counter-balance, not only by improving internet speeds but by injecting some much needed competition into the market.

According to the blog post, from Google vice president of access service Milo Medin, the company is considering expansions into the greater metropolitan areas surrounding Atlanta, Georgia; Charlotte, North Carolina; Nashville, Tennessee; Phoenix, Arizona; Portland, Oregon; San Jose, California; Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina; Salt Late City, Utah; and San Antonio, Texas. In these areas, the service could eventually cover a total of 34 different cities.

But, as Google tells it, not all of these areas will necessarily receive Google Fiber. The company will work with leaders in each city to determine whether it can viably offer service to each. “We aim to provide updates by the end of the year about which cities will be getting Google Fiber,” Medin writes. “Between now and then, we’ll work closely with each city’s leaders on a joint planning process that will not only map out a Google Fiber network in detail, but also assess what unique local challenges we might face.” Geography, housing density, and the condition of local infrastructure will all play a role in the decision.

According to Medin, cities will also complete a checklist of items that will “help them get ready for a project of this scale and speed.”

The process will take a while, but Google is playing a long game. Even as it grooms the next batch of cities for its one gigabit connections, the company is also working on technology capable of boosting speeds to 10 gigabits a second — about 1,000 times faster than today’s average connection. Google Fiber is no flash in the pan.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Man I wish it would come here.

Can you imagine how dangerous I would be with super speed interwebs?

I could do a lot of damage in a short time with that sh!t!!
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

I think your name should be google to begin with.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Its very, very costly. Most small businesses don't need that much speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Its very, very costly. Most small businesses don't need that much speed.
    It was free when they debuted it...

Edit: The "normal speed" package still is free.

https://fiber.google.com/cities/provo/plans/
    Last edited by turbo; 02-20-2014 at 03:40 PM.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

They are rolling out a very similar thing here in downtown Rock Hill. The days after the announcement google stated they would be upping their speeds in the further and offering to more cities.

Google Comporium Zipstream

http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...vice-Knowledge
    Phillipians 4:13