Thread: Lift Question for Silverado

I have a 2000 Z71 Chevy Silverado and I am wanting to add just a few inches to the suspension so I can clear 35's with the stock 16 inch rims. I was wondering if there is anyone out there that has the same model and has done something like this in order to beef up the truck. I do not want to go big with a suspension or body lift bc I want to keep the stock look. I have seen a few trucks around that have done this but havent been able to ask what they did. Right now I have 285 tire size and the tortion bars cranked with no rubbing so I dont think it would take much. Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated.

My old truck a 2000 Z71, i had a body lift and torsion bars leveling my truck and ran 35's on 16x10" wheels with ease. If you dont want to do that you can use ford torsion bar keys or any of the brands of leveling keys. Maxi-Cams produce a good leveling key and have many different indexing points. The for keys are idexed more than gm keys so you will be able to turn them up more. Although you get lift you sacrifice ride and parts wearing out like ball joints, steering, and cv axles. Most leveling keys are around $200, the fords keys are about $50 but you have to get longer shocks or extensions that the kits come with. Or for around $250 you can get the body lift and not wear out the front end of your truck.

I've got a '99 and I've looked at all of the options. Granted it is a different body style but the suspension and ground clearance is about the same.

1) If you are a heavy off-roader and intend on flexing much - 6" suspension with 16x10 or 16x8 rims and 35s. The rims need to have around 4.5" of backspacing.

2) If you are a pavement pounder and it is your daily driver - 3" body and new torsion keys. You can go with the same tire/rim combo as mentioned about. You will not have much flex at all and you WILL wear the crap out of the front end component if it sees anything other than smooth pavement. (I personally don't like body lifts on chevys without a suspension lift of somekind b/c of the frame showing underneath the cab)

(#2 is what I'd like to do to mine but maybe add a 3' body lift to that, beef up the entire drivetrain, and some 38s but that is way down the road when the truck is no longer my daily driver.)

You said that you are running 285s. (Me too) I have my torsion bars cranked about 2 rounds and that is all I intend on going because of the fear of wear on the front end plus I have switched the rear springs to 3/4 ton spring because my 1/2 tons were sagging and I just didn't like the look. I did all of that to ensure that they wouldn't ever rub, even if the truck was flexed to the max. I'm guessing those are 285/75/R16 which would equal 32.8" x 11.2" at full tread. What you are looking for is 315/75/R16 or 34.6" x 12.4".

If you are looking to go cheap, 2" add-a-leaf, 2 rear block, new torsion keys, crank the new torsions up and pack some 315s in there but I can't promise you won't rub and I doubt you be able to flex more than 2 inches or so. YOU WILL WEAR the chit out of the components though but that is what you are probably seeing.

WOW, I can get wound up on this stuff......

Good luck and let me know if I can help anymore.
    **2008 & 2009 Bream World Champion**

Genesis 27:3