Thread: Let's talk E-collars

Default Let's talk E-collars

How long do they last? I have one I bought back in 99 when I got Kelsey. It is a Dogtra with vibrate etc. I like it a lot and wondering if I can still use it. Has much changed technology wise etc?
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

I have had some last 5 years and others last 2 months...just depends. Your going to get several answers on this. Here is what I like...

For hunting....a smaller remote that can clip on somewhere as well as be worn on a lanyard. An easy to adjustable rheostat knob. The little wheels that click are too fucking hard to adjust in the cold, when it's muddy, wet, etc. I want something with at least a half mile range. Understand that cold weak batteries will severely reduce your range, so I want something that has a little distance on it for those situations. Waterproof of course, and a good warranty.

BigBallin is offline prognosticator of prognosticators

See if it'll hold a charge and is still waterproof. If not send it back for a goin thru and you should be ok....Not sure about the technology stuff.
    You can grow up to be just like me....

Should be fine. I just got an older Sport Dog from my buddy. I bought new batteries on eBay for both the collar and remote, and it works like new.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBallin View Post
    See if it'll hold a charge and is still waterproof. If not send it back for a goin thru and you should be ok....Not sure about the technology stuff.
    Yep, the waterproof part is big. Inspect the case for any cracks and take the cover off. I'd clean the gasket and seat.

Quote Originally Posted by LabLuvR View Post
    How long do they last? I have one I bought back in 99 when I got Kelsey. It is a Dogtra with vibrate etc. I like it a lot and wondering if I can still use it. Has much changed technology wise etc?
    I wouldn't waist money on the '99 model. The biggest jump in technology is the batteries in them now days. Plus, you may not even find the batteries for the old model. I'd just get a new one.

PS, Dogtra or Tri-Tronics.

Sport dog collar burned my dogs neck.

Switched to tri-tronics and never have had one issue.

My buddy picked up a tri-tronics for 200 from catch and release.
    Windows Down!