Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Frozen Boat Ramps

Quote Originally Posted by highflyer View Post
    Me and frozen ramps dong get along. My f-150 still bears the battle scars. 4:30 one morning I was backing down a steep landing not a lot use. I was almost halfway down and something felt funny and I could tell something wasn't right.

I put it in park and jumped out. That's how I found the ice. My feet shot out from under me and my face smashed the ice. I shook it off and tried to pull up but it just kept sliding back.

Put on the e brake and cut the truck off. Keep in mind the boat is loaded with all my gear. I was early so I thought it would only be a few before someone showed up. I was standing beside the ramp at the edge if the river smoking a cigarette and saw that the whole creek/lake (staples lake) was frozen solid.

Heard something cracking and when I looked up the ramp my bait and truck was coming down WAO and all j could do was watch. Right at the edge of the water the trailer jackknifed and flip in the water and my truck stopped about window deep.
    I managed to get my gun, calls, and all off the bottom that morning. Only thing I lost was an old hand made boat paddle. I guess if slid way out under the ice. Didn't tear up anything on the truck. Just knocked out tail lights and had to tear down the boat motor. Not something you want to have to call and wake your dad up for. I think I was 17 back then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You and driving just don't get along do ya?

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

I backed in the water at Buffalo Creek one morning. My plan was to make the short run to the flats in the back of Long Cane Creek. I decided to crank the motor while the boat was still on the trailer. It was a raggedy old 15 hp Evinrude and it was best to make sure it would crank before launching it. It wouldn't budge, the foot had a leak and the water in it had frozen solid.

I figured if I left it sitting in the water which was below freezing it would thaw out. 30 minutes later it was still frozen. So I pulled up the ramp a ways and started tearing down cattails and small limbs which I piled under the motor and set on fire.

I burnt all the paint off the foot but dadgum it thawed the motor out and I killed 7 mallards that morning in the back of Long Cane. I got a true double on a pair of drakes, one shot, two birds.

I shot 5 times and ended up with 7 green heads. It was worth it.

About a week or so later I did the same thing on the ducks in Hidden Lake, 5 shots, 7 mallards, but this time one was a hen.
    Last edited by Mergie Master; 01-25-2014 at 03:09 PM.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    You and driving just don't get along do ya?

Seems to be spiraling out of control! Haha

Quote Originally Posted by Baybuster View Post
    Highflyer kills ducks. I've seen this. Don't be mistaken little fella.

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Me and frozen ramps dong get along. My f-150 still bears the battle scars. 4:30 one morning I was backing down a steep landing not a lot use. I was almost halfway down and something felt funny and I could tell something wasn't right.

I put it in park and jumped out. That's how I found the ice. My feet shot out from under me and my face smashed the ice. I shook it off and tried to pull up but it just kept sliding back.

Put on the e brake and cut the truck off. Keep in mind the boat is loaded with all my gear. I was early so I thought it would only be a few before someone showed up. I was standing beside the ramp at the edge if the river smoking a cigarette and saw that the whole creek/lake (staples lake) was frozen solid.

Heard something cracking and when I looked up the ramp my bait and truck was coming down WAO and all j could do was watch. Right at the edge of the water the trailer jackknifed and flip in the water and my truck stopped about window deep.
    I managed to get my gun, calls, and all off the bottom that morning. Only thing I lost was an old hand made boat paddle. I guess if slid way out under the ice. Didn't tear up anything on the truck. Just knocked out tail lights and had to tear down the boat motor. Not something you want to have to call and wake your dad up for. I think I was 17 back then.

Never seen Staples Lake frozen solid, but I did get stuck there the year that it snowed at Christmas. I hunted that morning and killed plenty of big ducks, but I couldn't get up the ramp.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by CWPINST View Post
    Never seen Staples Lake frozen solid, but I did get stuck there the year that it snowed at Christmas. I hunted that morning and killed plenty of big ducks, but I couldn't get up the ramp.

This was 7 years ago. We went back later and threw rocks and logs out on the ice and they would bounce and slide down the lake. It got pretty thick. We went out of staples late one evening and camped out a few miles down river. Shot ducks the next morning and when we made the turn back into staples lake to go home it was froze over. We had to run my buddy's boat on the edge of the ice and jump on the bow to bust the ice. Took about an hour to inch our way back to the landing. Those were the good days.

This was 7 years ago. We went back later and threw rocks and logs out on the ice and they would bounce and slide down the lake. It got pretty thick. We went out of staples late one evening and camped out a few miles down river. Shot ducks the next morning and when we made the turn back into staples lake to go home it was froze over. We had to run my buddy's boat on the edge of the ice and jump on the bow to bust the ice. Took about an hour to inch our way back to the landing. Those were the good days.

Staples Lake in Florence County?

I think. I grew up at ports hill landing on pee dee right down from staples buts it's right together with gtown, w'burg, and Florence county.

But to be honest I think it's williamsburg. My buddy's dad plows the road and he works for gtown county but I've heard him say before it's williamsburgs road but they pay him to plow it because it's too far for them to go to with the plow.

Quote Originally Posted by LabLuvR View Post
    KRT was nervous as a whore in church when we backed down on the river this week. Apparently the rig slid a little and he was getting ready to bail.
    I wasn't getting wet too.... Was going to bail and let nationwide figure out the rest. I killed a limit of mallards though.
    More fuel = more boost!!

Quote Originally Posted by JBK View Post
    P.S....The ramp isn't frozen beyond the water line...just sayin

P.S.S Yeah it is if the guy who put in before you let his trailer drain on the ramp...its kinda the point of the thread, right? MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie Glover View Post
    P.S.S Yeah it is if the guy who put in before you let his trailer drain on the ramp...its kinda the point of the thread, right? MG
    He probably meant below the water line.

But to be honest I think it's williamsburg. My buddy's dad plows the road and he works for gtown county but I've heard him say before it's williamsburgs road but they pay him to plow it because it's too far for them to go to with the plow.

It's on the county line road between Williamsburg and Georgetown. I live just down the road from it. That's a steep landing, and I've slid halfway down it before. The lake was froze over solid, but not thick. I idled out and the boat would rise up on the ice and then crack back down through it. Weird feeling.